You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing the image window inside the program is extremely slow

This has been a problem for some years now, whenever trying to resize any of the image windows inside affinity photo, the resizing is extremely slow and the movements will buffer so even if I let go of the mouse button, the resizing gestures will all execute and it doesn't cancel when lifting the mouse button. Even happens with a blank canvas.

This is extremely frustrating because Affinity Photo doesn't have "zoom resizes window" like photoshop does, so I have to manually resize several image windows when working.

Windows 10 Pro (latest), Ryzen 2600X, 32 gigs memory, 2x AMD R9 280X display adapters

Hello @manfex

Welcome to the forums. I assume that you have Hardware Acceleration activated.  Your graphics cards are from an older generation and I think they simply cannot keep up with the demands that APhoto places upon them.  Have you tried disabling HA (Edit > Preferences > Performance)?  

It's not activated since the program says my computer is unsupported. The demands for resizing an empty window however should be quite minimal, I would understand the slowdown with lots of stuff. Photoshop works just fine without acceleration.

Same Problem here ... Regardless of the hardware accel. (doesn't matter if OpenCL is on or of). Dreadful with undocked pictures ... I can get me a coffee and Affinity is still slowly doing its resize work when I'm back ... Isn't it ironic ... beeing proud of the program speed with nearly a million of vecor object but not able to resize a single simple window ... ;-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I tried to replicate this and at first with a mouse it did not show, however if I drag vigorously for a few seconds it started. I tried on both 1.9.2.1035  and 1.10.0.1127 Beta (Win 10) and had similar results. If I just did a single drag to size the problem was not apparent.

As my system is older and a lower spec (AMD Phenom 965, 12 GB ram and Radeon HD 6800) , than yours it would not seem to be hardware/ driver related.

I have two computers, one (System A, ancient) displays this issue, the other (System B, three months old) does not.

System A: Intel i7-2600, AMD Radeon 6800 series, 8GB
System B: Intel i7-11700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti, 16GB

Since System B uses the same GPU as DarkClown but does not have this problem, could it be a CPU limitation?  Benchmark CPU results for the two computers:

System A:
    Vector (Single CPU): 172
    Vector (Multi CPU): 664
    Raster (Multi CPU): 113
    Combined (Multi CPU): 137
System B:
   Vector (Single CPU): 441
    Vector (Multi CPU): 2232
    Raster (Multi CPU): 446
    Combined (Multi CPU): 386

Just some further input.

If I open an image file, float the window and then resize I can do it till I get bored without the problem occurring in either version of the software as in my previous post. I then created new documents in several different formats and could not repeat the problem. Closed and restarted and still no problems.

Oh the joy of tracking down intermittent problems!