You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

brush problem in 1.10.0

Hey @Chris B ,

the document is 2000 by 2000 pixels at 300dpi. it happens even with a basic 4px brush.
But I have been working on this size of document with different size brushes for close to a year every day now and have never had this problem before (I have had some brush lag and stuff , but never this.)

It happened right after updating to 1.10. same gpu drivers etc. 

I'm on a surface book 3 with dedicated gpu.

As I understand it, developers don't care about the brush tool and working with it. The brush settings have been broken since version 1.9. Color select on Alt is a separate kind of masochism. Windows ink support is disgusting. Some tablets do not support windows ink mode in affinity.
It's been a long time already. Is it really hard to make brushes that work just fine.

• Staff

If it isn't OpenCL, it could either be the driver or the Input method. Which Input method are you using? Check in Preferences > Tools. 

If it's the driver, you might want to try uninstalling the current driver and reinstalling it... though this would be more applicable if it were OpenCL at fault I think.

1 hour ago, Julia04 said:

I’m still waiting for a normal brush work. Perhaps developers will care about brushes in the next update

It doesn't get better with updates! They broke the brush engine. Now they seem to be busy only with the Affinity engine. The fact that Affinity isn't usable right now doesn't bother developers.

• Staff
On 8/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, Astronaut_Creator said:

It's on 'low precision'. Should I use windows ink instead? Also, I already reinstalled gpu drivers

edit: same issue with windows ink

It will depend on your device - From the Help:
High Precision—provides the best quality high-resolution input data from pen tablets that support it. This input method is not compatible with Wacom's Mouse Mode and certain makes of pen tablet.
Low Precision—provides low-resolution input data if results from using High Precision and Windows Ink are not ideal. This is enabled by default.
Windows Ink—provides similar quality to High Precision but is used for tablets which don't support High Precision. Windows Ink mode must be enabled in the tablet driver settings.

Though I'm not sure this will actually affect your experience after some of my own tests. 

There are two things I suggest you try changing now:

1. Renderer in Preferences > Performance - try changing this to WARP instead of just disabling OpenCL. I want to see if this resolves the issue. WARP will be slower but will aid in working out of it's the GPU or not.

2. Retina Rendering in Preferencess > Performance - there are 3 settings here, please try them all.

I tried your suggestions (thanks for the follow-up!).

Changing the renderer changes nothing. The retina rendering however, fixes it. It was on 'automatic - best'. Changing it to either low quality or high quality gets rid of the original problem (the rendering in squares).

I think my settings from 1.9 were unchanged when updating to 1.10, so this probably is something that slipped in with the update?

• Staff

Hey Astronaut_Creator,

We haven't changed anything for the renderer as far as I know - I'd be interested to see what setting you were using before that, however I'd expect whatever you had set to also be set after the update so I will run an update test to see if that's true or not.

• 1 year later...

The same problem I have even on Affinity 2 (Designer 2, Publisher 2, Photo 2), on macOS and Windows. The most stable version to me is 1.9.3. 1.9.3 works perfectly.

I've tried every setting in the Performance tab on both operating systems, but nothing works in the newer versions, even on version 2. Please, fix this Brush tool (raster) bug. This is so frustrating.image.thumb.png.dfac3e77f6e4ecc93f643344d01a30b3.png