You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.10.0 Crashes.

I wonder if this bug is tied to the account, I noticed I had to relog into mine and redownload my addons, cause it's not crashing anymore for me.

• Windows 11
  • Hardware Acceleration: On
  • MSI GF75 Thin 10UEK-048 Gaming Laptop - 17.3" 144 Hz IPS - Intel Core i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB GDDR6 - 64 GB 3200Mhz DDR4 Memory - 512 GB NVMe SSD + 2 TB WD Blue SSD
  • Dual Display: XPPen Artist 22E Pro 21.5 inch 1080p

David Hyatt
ATSOTC Magazine Editor

3 hours ago, Pauls said:

@paulie.reklama- What type of graphics card do you have ?

GT 525M.

Thanks.

edit: This shouldn't normally matter, because I tried running the application in mode with an integrated graphics card. But still, the dedicated graphics card probably has some impact on application crashes..(describtion in my previous posts). In 1.9.2 my GT 525M (with same drivers) works with all affinity apps.

edit 2: Just out of interest, I've tried start previous good working version 1.9.2 of Photo with mode "start with integrated card" also, its running without problem, but in Photo Preferences is GT525m selected..so windows "integrated card mode" have no impact to the selection card by Affinity apps (Affinity sets dedicated card as a default during start in all cases if it finds the drivers). So I think problem is about noncompatibility of 1.10 Affinity apps with GPU in my opinion.

confirming that rolling back to v1.9.2 has solved the crash problem, one thing to note for debug, if you open system info>select File>Export you can get a crash report with all pertinent information needed to provide to Affinity techs.  I noticed my machine started crashing after the 1.10 upgrade and from the report, Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110 seems to be the culprit.

Hi everyone here,

the problems seem to be solved. All my desktop versions from the Affinity programs now are running in version 1.10. I deinstalled first the old version, then I installed the new version again. The programs started and I could work fine with it. Thanks to Callum from Affinity for his help!

By the way: On reason, why it's now running can be, that I updated Windows 10 to version 21H1.

Best Regards

Matthias

6 hours ago, Bamboli said:

Hi everyone here,

the problems seem to be solved. All my desktop versions from the Affinity programs now are running in version 1.10. I deinstalled first the old version, then I installed the new version again. The programs started and I could work fine with it. Thanks to Callum from Affinity for his help!

By the way: On reason, why it's now running can be, that I updated Windows 10 to version 21H1.

Best Regards

Matthias

Hi Bamboli,

I tried it also, but clean instalation had not solve this problem in my case.

I am on the same Win version like you.

@paulie.reklama

Hi Paulie,

thank you for your hint. I don't know exactly, why the programs are now running on my PC. I described, what I had done.

A possibility for the bug could be, that the new versions use the CPU. If you have a graphic card, you it deactivate in the device manager, right click on "graphic card" and deactivate. Perhaps you shoud make a new start with your PC. In my case my device accepted it after a certain time. The clean installation may be one reason. The Windows Update to 21H1 can be another reason. And the CPU could be the third reason for the problems.

By the way the support wrote to me I should try the following steps.

"Do you have a GPU installed in your computer? If you hold CTRL and then try opening the app does the reset menu appear at all? If you hit select all and then clear does the app then open?"

So, you can try the second hint and hold the CTRL-button before opening the app and so on.

Best Wishes

Matthias

Thank you for you response Matthias. Yes, I think, there is maybe more bugs that have different solutions. I've tried each hint in this forum I think. The switching GPU off in Device manager was my advice, 1.10 work with it, but without GPU the apps are very slow, and then I can't use the GPU with other applications also. With the testing of each hint I've deleted the cache(hold CTRL) and app data folder. Just for sure. There is probably nothing to do in my case, I'll be waiting for the fix.

Kind regards,

Paulie

I have been trying to modify with multiple images and get the same result the application crashes without warning.

1. Affinity Photo version 1.10
  2. Yes Photo (and Designer) crash if more that one adjustment is applied
  3. Yes every document that I load
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  • OS Windows 10 Pro
  • Graphics Card  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
  • Memory     32GB Memory
  • Processer   11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz

•    Opened a jpg to edit. Rasterized and trim. Applied a black and white filter. then what ever I selected next the application crashes 
  •    Two external drives for file storage
  •   Yes it worked in earlier versions on a older smaller computer.

Hello @Barkley42please try with deactivated integrated graphics card (Intel). To do so: Right click on Windows start menu button. Chose Windows device manager from the list. Navigate to graphics cards. Right click on the Intel entry and chose Deactivate device.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Barkley42 said:

@Komatös  I did disable the Intel integrated graphics card and the both Photo and Designer crashed when trying to apply a filter.

Not god to hear, but we don't give up. What if you deactivate hardware acceleration under Edit --> Preferences --> Performance?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 8/13/2021 at 7:25 AM, Barkley42 said:

I have been trying to modify with multiple images and get the same result the application crashes without warning.

1. Affinity Photo version 1.10
  2. Yes Photo (and Designer) crash if more that one adjustment is applied
  3. Yes every document that I load
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  • OS Windows 10 Pro
  • Graphics Card  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
  • Memory     32GB Memory
  • Processer   11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz

•    Opened a jpg to edit. Rasterized and trim. Applied a black and white filter. then what ever I selected next the application crashes 
  •    Two external drives for file storage
  •   Yes it worked in earlier versions on a older smaller computer.

Post the crash reports from %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports Then someone can look and see what's going on.

Affinity Photo v1.10.0 seems to crash randomly, for me, under the following circumstances.

- Drag & Drop an image (or multiple images) from Windows Explorer
- Copy & Paste from one image to another
- Create New Image of custom size

The crashes don't seem to be repeatable, but they are FAR more frequent than with the previous version. The other apps running in the background at the time seem to be Firefox and MPC-BE; I sometimes like to have a movie running in the background while I work. No idea if it's a GPU access related crash or down to the new AFP update itself, but the previous release was MUCH more stable under the same circumstances. Rock solid.

Here are my current PC specs:

- Windows 10 Pro (21H1)
- NVIDIA GeForce 1080ti Founder's Edition 11GB (471.68 drivers)
- Intel i9-7940X (14-core)
- 64GB RAM
-18.5TB storage

1 hour ago, Barkley42 said:

Firefox is not installed on this machine and I do not run any movies at this time.  

Where can I get a copy of the 1.9 version to install.

If you haven't already, I would check for other third-party software that is known to cause issues:

Both of your .dmp files seem to show that .NET had a problem invoking something (but I can't tell what), so possibly something external to Photo is causing the issue.

If you do want to go back to 1.9.2, and you purchased directly from Serif, you will find all of the installers at https://affinity.store/update/windows/photo/1 and you can pick the one you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...