You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to contain a blend mode shape's effect to the group it's in?

I know that it's possible to do some tricks with using a copy of the layer one wants to apply a blend mode shape's effect to (optionally kept synchronized with the symbol feature) as a mask for the blend mode shape, but that's circuitous (and somewhat lag-inducing when that means copying complex layers) and is a lot of effort for something that workflow-wise should probably be fairly simple, so it makes me feel that I'm probably missing something when it comes to the correct way of doing this.

To clarify, let's say I have a shape A that I want to apply a shadow to using shape B (which has its blend mode set to Multiply), but I don't want shape B's darkening effect to apply to any part of shape C, which is beneath A. Do I need to make shape B match shape A's, well, shape perfectly (either via use of a copy of shape A as a mask, or via manual editing), or is there a trick to get Affinity Designer to ignore the effects of shape B on shape C, which is outside of the A-B group?

Below is a picture showing the situation, with shape A being the green circle, shape B being the darkened circle above it, and shape C being the red rectangle; left is what happens if I don't edit the shape down (regardless of use of groups), right is what I would like to have happen.

759980287_blendmodecontainment.PNG.304931907a024730f4979f5d354aa3ae.PNG

Just be careful with dragging the Multiply Ellipse into the Pink one.

1524851641_ScreenShot2021-08-05at10_49_05AM.png.cd402080d6ee1f66ab08da79510ae239.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That works perfectly for shading single shapes, but unfortunately, if attempting to apply the Multiply shape to a group of shapes like that, it just leads to adding the Multiply shape to the group of shapes (as one would expect), the Multiply shape's effects extending past the rest of the group.

EDIT: For reference, here's a similar comparison picture to before, this time with how B affects group A (consisting of shapes Aa (green ellipse) and Ab (yellow triangle)) and shape C if shape B is not manually edited on the left, and how I'd want them to be affected on the right. Effectively, what I'm asking (now that I've found the right terminology again) is if there's a way to clip the Multiply shape to a whole group, rather than just a single shape?

1711554951_blendmodecontainment2.PNG.e609379635b0483b1008a01c433ef47a.PNG