You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.0 Publisher Update will not extract after download

The 1.10 update downloads quite fast, but then freezes completely at about the 25% completion mark. Have tried several times after quitting. Same result. Is the problem related to me only having a Trial Version of Publisher? I also tried updating my trial versions of Designer and Photo and had exactly the same problem. 

I had the same issue on all three Affinity apps. These 1.10 updates have been torturously slow. In my case (running MacOS Mojave on a MacBook Pro), both the Designer and Publisher took 10-15 minutes to complete the "extracting update" when both got to the two-thirds mark. They just sat there. I restarted the Publisher update three times because I thought things were permanently hung. Affinity Photo bu comparison was a speed demon, taking about five minutes to finish once it got to the two-thirds mark (needing additional time to get that far, of course).

I suggest to the Affinity folks that some sort of feedback be given on these message boxes in addition to a simple progress bar--and I'm not talking about an animated gif of a dancing monkey. Topaz Labs displays each file name and path being installed so you have some idea that the patient is still breathing. To repeat, from a user perspective, these three updates were pure torture, not only because of the excessive time required for them but because I was left in the dark as t whether on not the updates were still running. Just an FYI.

extract.jpg

FWIW, all three of the app updates took <5 minutes each to install for me on my old MBP running Big Sur. I don't know the precise time, it could have been 1-2 minutes, it was fast enough that I didn't pay attention. But 5 minutes max.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

8 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

FWIW, all three of the app updates took <5 minutes each to install for me....

Your experience is what I would expect. If it was something unique to my system, so be it. Everything else was running at "normal" speed. Thanks for the reply!

9 minutes ago, Bryce said:

My install on an Intel MBP took for Publisher took a long time and stopped at the same place, but after about 15 minutes it finished and loaded.

We may be in the minority but it still indicates something is happening that shouldn't be, methinks.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

What macOS version are you all running? I noticed something similar during my update too. 

I mentioned in my original post that I'm running MaxOS Mojave. I can't upgrade beyond that because Tim Cook has declared was on 32-bit apps, a few of which I need and can't get 64-bit versions of. (Thanks, Tim!)

We may be in the minority but it still indicates something is happening that shouldn't be, methinks.

I do not disagree at all.

3 hours ago, Pafoofnik said:

I mentioned in my original post that I'm running MaxOS Mojave.

I am running Catalina. I'm not upgrading at this time.

I've installed so far on four of my office macs - all running different OS (Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, High Sierra - 10 yr old imac) and all installed without error. The only one that took a while was Catalina.

On my iMac running Big Sur 11.5, all three of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher caused this problem when trying to update them to 1.10.  Rebooting macOS did not help.  The "Extracting update" progress bar displayed after the download progressed to about 15% and froze there for several hours! 

Unwilling to wait overnight, I solved this problem by visiting the Affinity Store and logging in, and displaying all my available downloads under "My Account".  I downloaded the .DMG files and, one at a time, launched them and moved the app to the Applications folder in the same location as the earlier version.  The usual Mac "Verifying" dialog took its usual minute or so after the app had been extracted, whereupon I started the app and it loaded just fine, and its "About" dialog confirmed that it was now version 1.10.

No further problems!

Having backed up the latest version of the .DMG files, as I usually do, with their product keys, in the event of a serious problem I can re-install the apps with no fuss.

I've had problems in the past, too, with the little mini-installers that simply download the full version. When I do, I, like you, sendup going to the Affinity website and downloading the full version myself. I think in the future, that's what I'll do as Standard Operating Procedure.

• 1 year later...