You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Store -> Affinity Direct

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Serif Affinity is trusting that I have not...

Well sure, but we cannot stop everyone doing a thing because it can be pirated. We will try to stop it, but you could say the same thing about lending people your product keys right now.... I am not sure yours is a 100% compelling argument to not at least try to do this for others, Old Bruce

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

How could any software company know any details about my Apple ID? When I go to register at the Affinity My Account I would first set up one for my friend, another for my cousin and so on.

The Affinity My Account is made by a trusting Serif. It will be up to them to decide if their very popular graphics software could be pirated this way and it will be up to them to try to figure out how to deal with the possibility of losing sales to my friends my cousins and my neighbours.

You are just too trusting, you need to meet some devious people. Me, I am honest. Trust me, I wouldn't lie to you. 

I do have software from companies which will allow me to transfer from Windows to Mac and vice versa, however that software is not available on the Mac App Store. It is also considerably more expensive than the entire Suite from Affinity.

A reason for Affinity to not offer this transfer from Apple to Affinity is that there would be no additional revenue, the 40% that Apple took remains with Apple. 

Also if it goes one way why not the other, all Affinity has to do is give Apple 40% of the money they, Affinity, collected from you. They do this by giving you some Appstore credits and then you can make a purchase in the Mac App Store. Easy. Good business practice?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So I have all three Affinity apps ; Photo, Designer and Publisher some were purchased from the Apple Store and some direct from Affinity. When version V2 arrives, presumably I will be able to update each App for a fee, will it make any difference how the apps are updated ? Directly from the existing App or via Affinity Direct? If the original app was purchased from Apple and I update to V2 from Affinity will that be allowed?

Or will V2 just be a completely new purchase from who ever you choose Apple or Affinity?

@Old Bruce - I think you simply misunderstand how this works technically, and why the registration approach mentioned in this thread adds zero additional risk above / beyond the risk of you simply sharing your keys or installing it for someone else using your own ID. Perhaps you overestimate the simplicity of basic piracy without any special hoops or tricks. But at this point, I think this is me ->

image.png.bad2a427c8e82acd9f019c2b51eb3c94.png

So I'll leave it be - I think it's clear to most at this point.

1 hour ago, ianhg said:

So I have all three Affinity apps ; Photo, Designer and Publisher some were purchased from the Apple Store and some direct from Affinity. When version V2 arrives, presumably I will be able to update each App for a fee, will it make any difference how the apps are updated ? Directly from the existing App or via Affinity Direct? If the original app was purchased from Apple and I update to V2 from Affinity will that be allowed?

Or will V2 just be a completely new purchase from who ever you choose Apple or Affinity?

We won't know any details until they announce V2, except that it should be a new purchase not an update of the existing apps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Matthew Twomey

I am a huge fan of xkcd. The back and forth we have been having called to mind that cartoon. In my head I saw either of us as Cueball.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.