You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.0 Affinity Photo is slow to start

Ever since I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur, Affinity Photo has been very slow to start.  In fact, Affinity Photo is about three times slower to startup than other apps.  Unfortunately, it looks like the very nice 1.10 version does not solve this issue.  Any idea when this issue will be fixed?

2019 i9 iMac, 64gb ram, Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB, MacOS 11.5.1

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

On my maxed iMac and MacAir M1, Affinity photo takes 15+ sec to load (while Affinity Publisher loads almost immediately). 

The suggested 'workaround' (duplicating + deleting the original) makes little if any difference.

This is REALLY annoying because most of the time I'm launching Photo for a specific purpose that will take <1 min to complete in Photo (e.g. an 'inpainting' brush stroke or a quick sharpening with a 'Photoshop' plugin). The slow startup is discouraging. The long delay in fixing it is also discouraging?

I bought AP from the Apple App Store ... maybe a mistake. Is the version direct from Affinity better at startup?

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, rivet said:

I have just inquired to see if they have a program swap. 

I'm not sure who you asked, but here is Serif's general answer:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This slow first start (~30 second delay) problem is still there. 

MBP 13" 2020, macOS 11.6 Intel i7, 32GB.

Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher version 1.10.1.

I also couldn't stand the slow startup, so I was looking for information and came across this forum. I'm using Photo/Designer on a modified old Mac Pro (Big Sur). I updated from Mojave to Big Sur and since then Affinity has been slow.
Right after I start my Mac (cold start), it takes about 45-60 seconds to start Photo/Desinger. On warm start, it takes about 10 seconds. I tried adjusting various settings, deleting all Affinity-related configuration files and reinstalling them, etc., but the problem persisted.

I don't know if this is a problem on the Affinity side or the OS side. I'm hoping that Monterey will fix it next week.

I, too, have been having this problem for weeks/month. It's VERY annoying. I have a maxed-out IMac i9 with tons of RAM (2019) and have the latest version of Big Sur. APhoto icon 'bounces' 20-25 times in the dock before I get an AP window!

Damnit, I want to move to using AP instead of PShop this year but I am really put off by the speed of this because, like others, I tend to launch a bit-map editor for only one or two (essential) tasks. 

Also, like others, I use Publisher which has NO delay at start (or a very small one). And using AP within Publisher seems unproblematic, too.

Affinity PLEASE FIX this!

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an issue for almost a year now and still no resolution.  I know they have made other posts about it and what the problem is, but at this point it comes across like they really don’t care.  After a year, you would think something would have been resolved or an alternative to the tech causing the slowness would have been implemented.

• 4 weeks later...

I "solved" it — with the Black Friday discount I re-purchased directly from the Affinity store.

My original purchase (years ago) was through the Apple store which I believe is the reason it was slow. Some kind of validation process. Regardless, on a fresh reboot of my machine, my newly Affinity Store purchase of AP, loads on the second icon bounce, instead of the 22nd bounce.

( MPB 16" 2021 — MacOS 12 )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw this problem in macOS Big Sur too.

Recently, I began using an M1 24" iMac (see below) and Affinity Photo starts up dramatically faster, even when invoked from within Photos > Edit With.

The M1 24" iMac came with Big Sur and I upgraded to Monterey. Affinity Photo starts up fast in both on this iMac.

(My 2014 27" iMac (with plenty of oomph for 2014) died suddenly of fusion drive failure. To get up and running quickly, I bought the M1 24" iMac locally and am using an external OWC 4T SSD in a miniStack STX enclosure to hold most files. This is working beautifully, and will tide me over until Apple introduces the larger Apple Silicon iMac later this year. I've had a plan to upgrade for some months.)