You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Version 1.10.1127 (release) fails to open

Having just received notification of the release version 1.10 of all three apps, I opened the previous release versions of each of them but did not receive any on-screen message to update.

So, I went to my Serif/Affinity account and downloaded the installers for all three.  All seemed to install, without problem; Photo and Publisher both opened and could be used.

But Designer crashed/disappeared almost immediately!  The splash screen appeared, got as far as "Loading fonts" and then simply disappeared!  The Beta 1.10.1127 still opens without problem!

Checking Crash Reports, I see three files (corresponding to the three attempts I made to open the app!).  They are attached.

All ideas/thoughts/suggestions gratefully received.

TIA

Jeff

dcfc2e8f-2af7-4fb8-bdd3-acdee1bdace3.dmp dff89533-e348-4bd2-8f3d-0b0c726b2335.dmp ff91d3b4-2dba-4ab1-ab5f-7a93719a327f.dmp

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi emmrecs01

Would it be possible for you to zip up and attach your App Data folder (to the link below) for the non beta please? You can find this located here:
%appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

After that can you try renaming the '1.0' folder to '1.0 old' and see if that works any better? Judging by the fact your Beta is working fine (and Publisher and Photo), it sounds to me like it could be related to your app data.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/eioOPFpYJrrdYaEs05Od

@Sean P

The requested files are uploading as I write, though the on-screen message says the upload will take anything up to between 3 and 4 hours to complete!!!

However, also renaming the AppData folder to 1.0 old has allowed the app to open.  Now for the fun of trying to discover which part of that folder's contents has caused the problem!!  😭😭

Jeff 

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Sean P

The requested files are uploading as I write, though the on-screen message says the upload will take anything up to between 3 and 4 hours to complete!!!

However, also renaming the AppData folder to 1.0 old has allowed the app to open.  Now for the fun of trying to discover which part of that folder's contents has caused the problem!!  😭😭

Jeff 

Thats wonderful thanks for that. I'll take a look at those files tomorrow. We've had a look at your crash reports and believe its happening whilst opening a file trying to do a Font Replacement, so I believe it will either be something in the Autosave folder that it is trying to reopen!

@Sean P

Thanks for that information!  The Autosave folder in 1.0 old is empty, unfortunately, as it is, obviously, in the new 1.0 folder.

Jeff

@Sean P

There was an 863 KB file in the Temp folder!  (Nothing in backups).  Deleting that file allowed me to reset 1.0 old to 1.0 and everything kept working!

Happy Days!

As always, my very sincere thanks.

Jeff

After having updated the 3 software of the Affinity suite, as you Designer to refuse to launch (crash after loading the fonts).
So I followed the advice of "Sean P" by renaming the folder from AppData folder 1.0 to 1.0 old, I successfully launched Designer but without my customizations and histories. I quit it and copy the contents of "1.0 old" to the new "1.0" folder created by Designer. And there I find all my Designer, my assets and history :-)
If it helps :-)
Yours truly

3 PCs - 1 Mac Book - Affinity Photo + Designer + Beta Publisher | Xtendo

I am having the same issue with Designer. I installed the new version as I was prompted to when I opened the program. After then install Designer will load and open with 1.10 but only for a matter of seconds and then shuts down. 

I've restarted, reinstalled, and repaired to no avail. The program loads, opens then immediately closes. I am not near as computer savvy as the other posters and would likely mess something up if I were to attempt what you guys have.

I've emailed customer support about it and am awaiting to hear back. Before the update the program ran flawlessly. Not sure what to do at this point.

I just downloaded the installer for 1.10 and installed. Upon trying to open, same thing -- crashes seconds after I see the splash screen. Here is the log from EventViewer which seems as if it has some useful information:

Application: Designer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.Studio.BrushGalleryManager.notificationService_BrushPropertyChanged(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.BrushPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.NotificationService.Raise_BrushPropertyChanged(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.BrushPropertyChangedEventArgs)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.Studio.BrushGalleryManager.interopService_ContentBindingsAdded(System.Object, Serif.Interop.Persona.WebSvcsContentBindingsAddedEventArgs)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnWebSvcsContentBindingsAdded(Serif.Interop.Persona.NativeWrapper<Kernel::NonCounted<Kernel::Notification> >)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.HandleNotification(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*, Boolean)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.OnNotify(Kernel.Counted<Kernel::Notification>*)
   at <Module>.GetNotificationDispatch.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>.()()(?GetNotificationDispatch@@$$FYA?AV?$function@$$A6AXXZ@std@@V?$Counted@VNotification@Kernel@@@Kernel@@@Z.__l2.<lambda_2bcb078db99a2694ff26461d0eed393e>*)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Designer.Application.Main(System.String[])

• Staff
16 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Sean P

There was an 863 KB file in the Temp folder!  (Nothing in backups).  Deleting that file allowed me to reset 1.0 old to 1.0 and everything kept working!

Happy Days!

As always, my very sincere thanks.

Jeff

11 hours ago, Xtendo said:

After having updated the 3 software of the Affinity suite, as you Designer to refuse to launch (crash after loading the fonts).
So I followed the advice of "Sean P" by renaming the folder from AppData folder 1.0 to 1.0 old, I successfully launched Designer but without my customizations and histories. I quit it and copy the contents of "1.0 old" to the new "1.0" folder created by Designer. And there I find all my Designer, my assets and history 🙂
If it helps 🙂
Yours truly

7 hours ago, Janne Johansson said:

I also had this problem. I had to delete my %appdata% folder for Affinity Designer to get v1.10 up and running.

Could you still please upload a copy of the 'Bad' app data you have - without this we cannot reproduce the crash so it can be investigated fully!

@Sean P

I realised this morning that the upload of my AppData had failed!  And, as a result of my end-of-day housekeeping, I no longer have the zipped file or its unedited contents.  My sincerest apologies.

To all other users experiencing this problem: on my computer it seems the installer created a file in the %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\temp folder which it did not delete once the installation was complete.  This is what seems to have caused the app to crash on first start.  Simply deleting that file resolved the issue.  Perhaps worth checking?

HTH

Jeff

Updated Publisher to 1.10 yesterday, did not access. Opened up a document today and began editing, it repeatedly crashes when I type a "period". 

I saved the file once with added text, so will restore pre-update file and go back to 1.9 until this is resolved.  Attaching the CrashReports folder.

I did have the 1.10 Beta installed, but there should be no interaction there. Renamed the publisher file used under the Beta with -Beta to keep them separate.

Pub1-10CrashReports080721.zip

• Staff
On 8/7/2021 at 2:41 AM, Yusup Budiman said:

Anyone can help me ?

Hi Yusup,
Can you hold down Ctrl whilst starting the application, and leaving the 3 options ticked also tick the 'Reset Account Data' option and then click OK. Does this allow the application to start for you?

On 8/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Dan Stalker said:

Updated Publisher to 1.10 yesterday, did not access. Opened up a document today and began editing, it repeatedly crashes when I type a "period". 

I saved the file once with added text, so will restore pre-update file and go back to 1.9 until this is resolved.  Attaching the CrashReports folder.

I did have the 1.10 Beta installed, but there should be no interaction there. Renamed the publisher file used under the Beta with -Beta to keep them separate.

Pub1-10CrashReports080721.zip 22 B · 0 downloads

Hi Dan,
This sounds like a different issue entirely and would be better suited to creating a new post for your issue in the Publisher Bugs forum (and not tagging on the end of a different issue). Unfortunately the zip you attached is also empty!

11 hours ago, Maciej Gierała said:

Hello,

I just downloaded Affinity Designer 1.10. I have updated already and then I tried to open. Windows show me that Affinity Designer stopped working. That's all.

It is just problem with operating system? I have Win 7 Pro without the newest updates. Or maybe something more?

Thanks for answering my question! :)

P.S. Here I attached the Problem Signature from Windows:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Designer.exe
  Application Version:    1.10.0.1127
  Application Timestamp:    61031098
  Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18015
  Fault Module Timestamp:    50b8479b
  Exception Code:    e0434352
  Exception Offset:    0000000000009e5d
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1045
  Additional Information 1:    7ccb
  Additional Information 2:    7ccb2fa98342573c8a26d5624a3b51e6
  Additional Information 3:    9e29
  Additional Information 4:    9e2994bb87cfc76e5d04cbe2b1a63bb7

Hi Maciej,

Unfortunately this will happen if your Windows 7 install is not completely up-to-date. There were some updates issued to Windows 7 that Affinity requires to be able to run - without those you will get the crashing you're seeing.

20 minutes ago, Yusup Budiman said:

Ada yang bisa membantuku?

Did you read and try the suggestion Sean made to you in the post just above your latest post?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@Yusup Budiman

If you are still having problems please can you hold down Ctrl whilst starting the application and try resetting all your user settings, (instead of just the 4 suggested above).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon