You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to force a shape to snap to a specific other shape (without having both shapes selected simultaneously)?

Let's say I have a number of layered shapes. I want to ensure one node of shape A, at the top of the pile of shapes, is aligned to a side of shape B, near the bottom. To ensure shape B doesn't get out of alignment with other shapes, I have it grouped, or shape A is part of a compound with another shape, or some other situation where keeping both objects selected at the same time (to take advantage of the "align nodes to selected curves" snapping option) would require rearranging the layering of the shapes.

In situations like this, is there a convenient way to "tell" Affinity Designer that I want to specifically snap to shape B rather than any of the other layered shapes (since the previously-mentioned "remove shape A and B from their groups, compounds, etc. so you can select both, turn off all snapping options other than the selected curves one, snap, put shapes back into their groups, compounds, etc." is rather tedious)? Being able to mark a layer to snap to would be very convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry for the delay.

The only option the apps have which is similar to what you would like, is if that particular object/layer is highlighted as a snapping candidate. Which you can do my hovering over that object/layer.

It's something that can be requested for a future feature.