You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How many ways to remove moiré with Affinity Photo?

• Staff

Hi @SCarini,

I can confirm that FFT Denoise is designed to remove 'regular' noise patterns from an image, and as this pattern does not affect the whole image, then I don't believe this is the best option for you.

I have downloaded your image, then created a selection of the car seat - with this selection active I used Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Blur > Gaussian Blur... and gave this a value of 1px, then with the selection still active I used Layer > New Live Filter Layer > Noise > Add Noise... and used a value of 20%. This reduces the moire effect, whilst keeping the image looking as natural as possible and you can continue to adjust these values as you see fit - 

image.png

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

You may also want to try just cloning from the part of the chair that has the correct pattern

This is just a quick test to see if that's feasible, you will have to take more time for showroom quality

carfin3.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

30 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You may also want to try just cloning from the part of the chair that has the correct pattern

This is just a quick test to see if that's feasible, you will have to take more time for showroom quality

@SCarini

You could also copy just the area from the front of the car seat to a separate pixel layer (it goes on the top of the layers) and give a some blur then set that to overlay or soft light to give the lighting/shadow back.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

carfin3.jpg

Thank you, though I believe the right color of the seat is the one near the dog!

• 8 months later...

- select the affected area with a soft edge
- use Filters/Blur/Bilateral blur
- combine the Radius and Tolerance settings to erase the Moire while preserving the original texture

-return a reasonable amount of noise to the area, you probably already know how :)

I don't know if it will work for all cases.