You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappointed with performance and still missing details in Exif

Not much to say, the one line about performance enhancement of 400% ´in most cases´ appears to hold untrue at least for opening RAW files from my much beloved Fuji X-Pro1: still the exact same 22 seconds, alas. When also noticing the same issues with incomplete Exif data for my Fujinon XF-lenses and Zeiss Touit, I was already too much disappointed and decided to give it a break for the moment. I didn´t check further processing after that to be honest.  :(

post-13590-0-36074800-1446914049_thumb.png

In the meantime you may want to test a dedicated raw processor, such as RawTherapee, instead.

RawTherapee opens a X-Pro1 Raw in under a second on my older machine. And it supports Fuji X-trans demosaicing as well (Lightroom is still terrible at Fuji X-Trans, and it results often in unacceptable results compared to altnernative Raw processors). All meta data remains intact, and it displays all the lens information. Then setup Affinity Photo as the external application to receive a 16bit per channel Tiff, and send the result to Photo for further processing.

Been there, done that...  :(

I´d just like this one Affinity product to keep up to its promises and hopefully, in the end deliver something close to what it said been aiming at: a solid ´pro´ (Photoshop) competitor. I mean, having correct and complete Exif does´t look too complicated to me for instance, how difficult can it be? I asked for it immediately after initial launch already, back in July... Maybe I did set expectations too high for the moment, time will tell.

i too wonder what "in most cases " means because i do not have the feeling this beta is in any way faster than the previous versions.   maybe this is related to the graphic card we use  ?   opening raw files is also extrem slow and the absence of a progress bar makes me sometimes think ap has stopped working....

Yes, older Mac with older graphics can be a bottleneck. However, it is much slower than Iridient which I consider a very good converter - when I tested it, some long time ago - but too slow for me, at 16 seconds, so I discarded it. Unfortunately, none really compare to the Photoshop CS6 I use right now (about 3 seconds), hence the disappointment. On the brighter side, it is faster than ON1´s Photo Suite 9, standalone version going from (RAW) Browse module to Enhance module, a copy as 16 bits smart photo PSD (29 seconds or more). However, when comparing that with AP, I need to take into account the very long time taken to go from the Develop Persona to the Photo Persona as well. When doing that, disappointment increases accordingly, dramatically.

JasperD

Can you please let me know exactly what you did to arrive at these times, including a description of any auto-adjustments set up by you to be made while the RAW was rendering.

Thanks

(And just in case you are wondering why the question, I don't use the AP Develop Persona, PS or ON1 but these times look strange, and before going any further I want to be sure we are comparing like with like).

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

It´s just the way it is, very consistently, since 1.3.4 initial install up to the current Beta 1.3.5.7, with this camera and using these tools. When you initially open a RAW file, nothing has been set yet, because waiting for it to show...

Anyway, if you don´t use or have anything to compare, why ask? True, if you´re not using the Develop Persona, which means that you don´t use AP to open RAW files and as RAW processor, I can imagine you finding it strange. For what it´s worth, AP opens huge final multi-layered AFPHOTO or PSD files in the blink of an eye, even on my old gear; my ´worst´ so far was ´only´ about 800MB. That´s not what I am disappointed about, but it is totally irrelevant in this context: when I come home, everything going to my HD is in RAW format exclusively, so I also would use that Develop Persona 100% if I decided in favour of AP instead of PS... Right now, that is not the case though, there is too much missing, or too many deal-breakers for me.

JasperD

I didn't say "I don't use or have anything to compare" - you are incorrect in making that assumption.  I did say that I don't use PS or ON1 or (nowadays) the AP Develop Persona - but there are a lot of other RAW engines/image editors out there, and I do use the AP Photo Persona.  

The basis for the question was simple:  as someone who has participated in the AP Beta program for a long time I'm always ready to look at issues that can assist Affinity in its development but I can't do anything in regard to your post without knowing what you actually do.  For example, whether or not you have set any actions in options in Assistant Options that need to be completed before the rendered image can be displayed.

Fair enough Gary, but we still have had an issue raised about the performance of the current APB that could be explored a bit more.   I have always seen this Forum as a two-way street - we bring issues to the attention of Affinity and other users, and we explore answers.

I know from his previous posts that JasperD is an active contributor in that regard, and would like to help.  Asking for details is not intended as a criticism, but as reaching out for as much relevant information as possible to help explain or resolve what he is reporting in this instance.  

I didn't say "I don't use or have anything to compare" - you are incorrect in making that assumption.  I did say that I don't use PS or ON1 or (nowadays) the AP Develop Persona - but there are a lot of other RAW engines/image editors out there, and I do use the AP Photo Persona.  

You made your point quite clear and my assumptions are pretty pertinent to that, even without your ´(nowadays)´ addendum. I am not willing to ´let you know exactly what´ I did to achieve such a lousy performance, that´s also very clear I think. For all who care, the timing has been like that since initial AppStore release right after install, up to the current beta right after install as well, without doing anything special. There are a few differences between them indeed, pertaining to installed NIK plugins (not with AP Beta) and several Brushes / Styles (not with AD or AP Beta either). Neither has any impact on performance as I see it looking at a stopwatch. Timing might be different for each single configuration, system, camera, whatever, and will probably only be comparable to something equivalent to my own systems.

It is really totally irrelevant to using the Photo Persona; if anything, that could also raise a few other threads but is entirely out of topic here.

I am not interested in, not discussing nor seeking advice about any other RAW converter. I don´t pretend I know and have them all, but lots of them anyway. I am only interested in the issues pointed out here on the occasion of the Beta 1.3.5.7 and one of its comment lines (beside EXIF). Everyone can make up her / his own opinion based on one´s own observations and whether that makes AP suitable for replacing any of those numerous other solutions out there. For me, it just is not, at this point in time, due to several issues like this one.

JasperD:

I am not willing to ´let you know exactly what´ I did

​Clearly you are free to give or withhold information as you choose, but it seems to me to be a reasonable request that you share what you are doing when you open a raw image when it is in connection with a posted complaint about how long processing takes. Posting the thread indicated that you wanted to share information with the community so requests for further details seems not only reasonable but pertinent.

When I see such a response my immediate reaction is to wonder why you are unwilling to share such information. There is no personal information being requested, just what adjustments you are automatically applying. Such information seems very relevant to me.

Please stop looking for something that does not exist. When I write initial install or right after install of AP or AP Beta, I mean exactly that, IOW nothing has been set at all, so there is nothing withheld either. When you then launch AP, there is still nothing at all. Next is then to open a RAW file from this specific camera - yes, an A900 FF image will be quite a bit faster, but at the same time still slow to my standards. You don´t have any issue with the time it takes when you do the same (I suppose, you don´t say)? That´s fine and good for you, but it does not take any of my disappointment away.

I am not seeking any help or advice about supposedly better tools out there. I am not interested in people´s experiences with the Photo Persona, as that´s not in scope here. I did want to share my disappointment with something stated by the developers - ´400% performance in most cases´ which is simply absolutely not true for me - you are right about that. However, I do not really need anyone to hold my hand, substitute to staff or whatever to relay information about the issue. The developers probably understand pretty well what I am talking about, or they would have asked themselves, like they usually do when there is something to clarify. I have shared numerous of my RAWs and their processed files already...

To be honest, I´m getting a bit sick of these denial type of posts. They certainly don´t contribute anything on topic either.

Not a stupid question: Iridient was the first doing it that way that I knew of, when I tested it long time ago. This allowed its developer to offer RAW processing for my Fujifilm X-Trans files, long before Apple´s Digital Camera RAW was finally updated with that also. Affinity is using that concept as well, but it is only with the current Beta for now. It will propagate to the AppStore later this year - staff says hopefully before Christmas.

post-13590-0-80990300-1447336523_thumb.png

Als Schweizer müßtest du doch Deutsch können, oder täusche ich mich da???

Versuchen wir es, mir ist es sehr viel angenehmer, als alles durch den Google-Translater laufen zu lassen.

Besten Dank zunächst für den ganz heissen Tipp mit dem Assistenten!!!

Das Problem ist nur, dass der Konverten von Sarif fast genau so schlecht scheint, wie das Original von Apple, oder täusche ich mich da? 

Bin sehr gespannt auf deine Antwort!

Viele Grüße

Joachim

post-5756-0-78880600-1447339885_thumb.png

post-5756-0-15902100-1447339906_thumb.png

Ich bitte um Entschuldigung Joachim, leider bin ich Deutsch nicht völlig mächtig. Ich bin auch nicht Schweizer, aber Holländer, so das is es auch nicht. Ich spreche nur das Niederländische und das Französische, Englisch ausreichend und ein bisschen Griechisch dazu. Ich lese und verstehe Deutsch Gut genug.

In short for everybody else, I´m not fluent in German, alas. Will read and understand quite OK though, but writing it is a disaster with me and that usually shows.

Joachim, did you reload the image after switching to Apple? I´m asking because that´s what I have to do to activate it and so, see the effects of it. When you do, I´m no quite sure, but it could be disappointing for you as well: I see absolutely nothing when set to Apple (Core Image RAW), only a wrongly sized canvas. I have already posted about that in another thread.

Are you sure you do reload them? Meaning you closed the image that you saw before (otherwise it will not open, as it already is)? If so, that could be of some help for the developers: I never see anything when opening a new picture with Apple Core set, from the two cameras stated... 

Sorry, I deleted something earlier as you already replied before I finished. Here it is again:

PS: I think I know this GaryC; if it´s the same guy, someone who loves Google Translate, not always to the point though. Then it´s easy to claim Google made the mistakes. In this case, I ´m not in for that debate, so I´ll leave you to answer it, if you´d like to:

post-13590-0-78264300-1447344429_thumb.png

No, I don´t know what issue is with your initial post quoted above; subdued, ´flatter´ and boring (some would say neutral) rendering is usually what I see when Tone Curve (right below RAW Engine) is set to not apply. Not sure that is what you show here, though.

I linked to something happening with my cameras, here it is again as full address: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/14808-no-image-shows-up-after-opening-raw-file/?p=66275 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.