You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappointed with performance and still missing details in Exif

It does not matter Joachim, don´t worry about it. Especially as in your case, you were nice enough to ask (although a bit lucky that I did).

For all I care, you could continue to write in your language as you wish, you might be surprised at the number of responses you get, that notwithstanding, and from a lot of people. Reactivity could be a bit less though, so if you can and want more and faster answers, it´s usually better to try with English.

First off, this is the first time I wrote in Swedish. I was trying out google translate to see if would actually work. My only question was do either one of you feel that the RAW edting in AP meet standards of a pro tool. It looks good but imfelt you guys might have an opinion.

That fact that I wrote in in Swedish p was a respectful thing just n case it was you would be more comfortable with it. As tomyounthink you know me, the only time we spoke is when you and that other person were getting a little heating and I said " let's calm down a wee bit" that's about the extent of it. If I insulted you I'm sorry

I´m not really in for a debate on RAW image editing / performance / features / quality etc... My personal take is that it´s no match to my usual tools, yet. I do hope it will become it though, up to really and totally replacing Adobe´s Photoshop CS6, ultimately. Right now, it´s not there alas.

My personal deal-breakers are with RAW processing and the file sizes of the AFPHOTO file format. I always use ACR to start with, over 80% of my processing stops right there, does not see Photoshop at all. However, AP does not offer persistent savings with some small footprint ACR-like sidecar. It is already on the roadmap though, but I don´t know what approach will be taken for it. If it comes close to Adobe´s solution, the deal-breaker with the file sizes would probably vanish with it as well. For now, I have processed a few hundred RAWs with AP and doing so gave me a good idea of what I would need for diskspace to have the same comfort that I am enjoying now: 2TB external for all images (RAW and processed) would be 16TB at least, my 3TB external Time Machine backup should then be about 20TB... It is about 8.5 times more for me, the 550GB now used on my dedicated photo drive would extrapolate close to 4.6TB. That´s the deal-breaker I am talking about.

Processing is a bit slowish compared to my PS, not everything is working as it should (or so I think), but will be dealt with given some time, I expect. OTOH, it is full of really brilliant features that I already do like a lot, so even if feeling more like a beta tester at the moment, I will probably continue to use it for that part of the workflow, when useful, but only as needed; not always as I hoped, far from it, I simply cannot afford that.

This is getting worse, must be a joke?!  :(  :wacko:  :angry:

Not by a small margin, actually 44 seconds (!!!) - instead of the usual 22 since initial 1.3.4 AppStore release. Consistently, I opened several, canceled everything, reopened, canceled, closed AP Beta, relaunched, always the same on my stopwatch. Everything using Serif Labs RAW engine. Doing the same but with Apple´s RAW engine active still takes 22 seconds ´only´, but as I don´t see anything after that, just a partial black or transparent canvas, that´s not really helpful either; see https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/14808-no-image-shows-up-after-opening-raw-file/?p=66275.

Just installed Beta 1.3.5.10, after trashing the previous one completely, nothing done at all before open the files. I picked Fuji X-Pro1 files again, so that the comparison with old is actually valid.

Adding to the previous instead of editing, as (I think) I found some improvement.

A few distributed applications are running permanently on my Mac, taking up to 98% of processor. I don´t usually have to shut them down - they take care of themselves, including stop processing if needed. However, when running Bridge and Photoshop CS6 plus Photo Suite 9 and possibly NIK all at the same time, I do, it really makes a difference. These distributed applications have seen a major update last Wednesday.

So, unlike before, I stopped them to see impact on AP: opening a RAW X-Pro1 image now is back to 22 seconds. Still an awful lot, but at least as usual. Better yet, with Apple´s RAW engine, it´s down to 10 seconds or less, depending on the picture; I have actually seen 6 seconds!!! Now I wish even more for that issue to be solved: there was no success with rendering alas, still the totally meaningless and useless canvas.

Just a note on the AppStore version: that one now shows 34 seconds (not 22 anymore, nor 44) with the distributed stuff running at the same time, so I´ll definitely have to stop that from now on, alas. I can adapt to that though.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.