You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur on layer with blend ranges

• Create document with Document/Transparent Background set, and a layer with black and white.
    • Set Blend Ranges, adjust left graph so you can see transparent background checkerboard.
  • Add Gaussian Blur as child layer.
    • Adjust radius. 
    • The moment radius goes off zero, the transparent background goes white.

This effect does not happen when blur layer is above pixel layer.

Example file attached.

blend ranges and blur.afphoto

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

I think this might be another symptom of the known bug handling alpha channel with nested layers targeting alpha channel. Did you try on latest beta?

Currently traveling with iPad only, there (1.9.2) i cannot reproduce this issue because of the older bug overshadows your issue.

Workaround: adding a group to the pixel layer, and applying the blur to the group.

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

9 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I think this might be another symptom of the known bug handling alpha channel with nested layers targeting alpha channel. Did you try on latest beta?

Currently traveling with iPad only, there (1.9.2) i cannot reproduce this issue because of the older bug overshadows your issue.

I tried it with 1.10.0.1127 and it's still happening.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Just now, MEB said:

Hi @dmstraker,
Thanks. There's currently a few reports that may be related with this issue. Let me check their status. I will make sure this is logged in case it's a different issue.

See also other report I've recently added -- also still happening in latest beta.

Dave Straker