You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap Centre of Circle to a Node

I cannot find the correct snapping mode to snap a centre of a circle to the corner of a polygon, bounds are not effective, and the object key points dont seem to exist for either the circle (centrepoint) or the polygon nodes

Tried to apply guides to the polygon nodes but they do not snap there either...  am I missing something obvious ?

Any help appreciated

Screenshot 2021-08-01 092046.png

Thx Brian,  

At least you are confirming that what would be a pretty basic snapping option in CAD is rather obscure in AD... 

and please no comments from others telling me AD is not CAD.. it is a design tool just like CAD!

PS double thanks for the instructive video, much appreciated

I actually have to put circles on each corner so your video hinted at doing the reverse and creating a circle symbol with a temporary centre point, converting to curve and dragging them to the polygon, then removing the temporary circle centre

4 hours ago, PixelPest said:

The Node-tool will work as well on this:

@PixelPest Using the Point Transform Tool works for me, but I can't snap the center of a circle curve to the corners of a polygon using the Node Tool. Your polygon shape is displaying what appear to be nodes as you're moving the circle... my polygon does not display those. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

11 hours ago, PixelPest said:

The Node-tool will work as well on this:

But not if the circle is an ellipse or another shape not converted to a curve object. To avoid the need to convert the shape to a curve, use the Point Transform Tool like @G13RL suggested. Also, note that that tool has its own pair of snapping options on the context toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, PixelPest said:

if, but, maybe?

What I mean is the Node Tool method you demonstrated works with a "(Curve)" object like the circular one you were moving, but try it with an ellipse, cog, or any other shape that has not been converted to a "(Curve)" object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, PixelPest said:

And you try again to explain the tool to me.

I am not trying to explain anything to you.

For the benefit of those not familiar with the snapping options of the various tools, I was simply pointing out that the method you showed above using the Node Tool only works when the object being moved is a "(Curve)" object, not a shape like an ellipse.

Affinity Photo