You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Portly Squirrel

candacew

This is the first design that I have completed in Affinity Design. I had painted this a year ago in Corel Painter, based on a photo that I took of a squirrel who eats our bird seed. As you can see, he is well fed! I liked the composition, which is a tribute to my hero, Charley Harper, but I could not get the clean lines and shapes that I wanted with Painter.

I LOVE Affinity Design program! I have never had a proper vector program, and it is pure heaven to be able to draw such smooth lines! There is quite a learning curve to master the vector style, but the journey is most enjoyable. After years of drawing and painting conventionally, I have always been a slave to details. My objective is to simplify and refine everything into basic shapes, similar to the previously mentioned Charley Harper, and the illustrations of the Art Deco and mid-century period. Practice practice practice!

Thank you for creating this program. You have made me very happy!

post-20761-0-94871600-1446891842_thumb.png

Looks really good, like how you've done some background elements as their utmost basic shapes.

AD is a great app for creating with. Look forward to seeing more as you (and we all) learn more!

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Yeah I can see how Painter wouldn't be suited to Charley Harper style pieces. Never got the hang of it myself. I love vectors.

This is really nice btw  :)

---

Dan Robinson  |  Giant Lobster Productions Ltd

Web: giantlobster.uk

Instagram: @giantlobsterprd

"Art is never finished – only abandoned." - LdV

Good first piece, One of my utmost favourite things about Affinity are layer masking options. if you not using them yet I recommend watching a Tutorial, speeds the hole creative process up hugely in my experience.

I'm teaching my 16 year old son Affinity Designer at the moment, ready for him to start his media/design courses at college in the Summer. Its really fun watching him start to get his head around the layers and tools and create artwork he hasn't been able to do with software namely Adobe Fireworks proved by schools.

Good first piece, One of my utmost favourite things about Affinity are layer masking options. if you not using them yet I recommend watching a Tutorial, speeds the hole creative process up hugely in my experience.

I'm teaching my 16 year old son Affinity Designer at the moment, ready for him to start his media/design courses at college in the Summer. Its really fun watching him start to get his head around the layers and tools and create artwork he hasn't been able to do with software namely Adobe Fireworks proved by schools.

Schools are using Fireworks??? WTF.

I guess they're on a budget.

---

Schools are using Fireworks??? WTF.

I guess they're on a budget.

Haha thats what I said...... The Adobe greedy train makes it impossible for people. 

Serif need to go in and hand out a few free licences, you'd then have a loyal generation falling out of school snapping up licences for home use.

I am a recent newcomer to the party, so to speak, and I was unfamiliar with Fireworks. It sounds like a (formerly) popular and good program that was bought and killed by Adobe. I am sorry for the Fireworks fans, but I am glad that I have Affinity as an alternative to all things Adobe. I purchased Photoshop CS6 before the Cloud-only changes, although I seldom use it and find it heavy and cumbersome. Not doing much with photo manipulation at present, but, when I do, I will get Affinity Photo. 

NO, I am not a paid spokesperson, lol! I just find it refreshing to use a program that works well on my Mac. And I do not like corporate greed and market monopoly, which stifle independent creativity.

- And I do not like corporate greed and market monopoly, which stifle independent creativity.

Agreed. Adobe have forgotten the fundamental principal, that people should want to use your product, not feel like they have no choice.

That's partly what I love about Affinity Designer. It reminds me of a time when software was exciting. 

---

Agreed. Adobe have forgotten the fundamental principal, that people should want to use your product, not feel like they have no choice.

That's partly what I love about Affinity Designer. It reminds me of a time when software was exciting. 

Screw Adobe this is an exciting time....Artboards and bleed on the cards for Designer and Affinity Publisher coming soon :)