You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(AD beta) image severely pixelated when first opened

I have a vector drawing with an "image" that I dragged into it.  When I close the drawing then reopen it the image layer comes up severely pixelated (shown in the first example). Then if I hide it and unhide it the image comes up as it should (shown in the second example).

1381150229_ScreenShot2021-07-31at10_14_09AM.png.f794d4c549d32311ad544a56644bf262.png

1731699357_ScreenShot2021-07-31at10_14_37AM.png.cccb75bdc422c0fa5184b4027cabdf1e.png

Edited: I just noticed that I have to select the layer then make it not visible then visible for the pixilation to correct itself.  Just clicking the visibility button didn't do it.  

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Takes a while for Designer to load, read the data, in a placed image file. That is probably what you are seeing.

Now that I have done a quick test to back up my guess...

Yes, there is a marked lag between the latest Beta displaying a linked image file and the rather snappy response of the retail version. Less than a fraction of a second for the retail versus several beats seconds for the Beta.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Takes a while for Designer to load, read the data, in a placed image file. That is probably what you are seeing.

5 minutes later it's still showing as:

1328918771_ScreenShot2021-07-31at10_48_30AM.png.c38d8d0249e5e791bbafa0f0b52d7231.png

Good possibility but no cigar.  As they say.  Thanks Bruce.

May be down to the difference in our OS and hardware, I am slightly more up to date than you. But still it is a lowering of the expectation. I am really curious as to why the hiding revealing will show the layer at its higher resolution.

Post Script: You said you dragged the image in, I am guessing that placed a linked image layer, am I correct in those assumptions? 1 that it is an image layer and 2 that it is linked?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

May be down to the difference in our OS and hardware, I am slightly more up to date than you. But still it is a lowering of the expectation. I am really curious as to why the hiding revealing will show the layer at its higher resolution.

Post Script: You said you dragged the image in, I am guessing that placed a linked image layer, am I correct in those assumptions? 1 that it is an image layer and 2 that it is linked?

FYI the layer type is "Image" so it's not a linked image.  I just grabbed it from my internet browser and pulled it across and dropped it into AD.  It's just a temporary image that I need some detail from it for my drawing.  Everything was fine working from it yesterday, but when I opened it this morning all detail was gone.  Luckily after a few attempts at "touching" it in different ways I found the visibility control brought the detail back.

I think it's something in the drawing. I made just a virgin drawing and dragged the same image into it, but I don't have the same problem.  The entire file is 50MB so I don't want to just upload it into the forum.  I'm going to selectively delete things to see if I can figure out what part is causing the issue.

I just opened my entire drawing in the released version (1.9.3) and surprisingly it did open.  The problem does not exist in the released version.

@Old BruceOkay, will you try something for me.  Attached is a very stripped down version of my drawing.  If you open it in the newest beta 1.10.0.6 then zoom into the meter is it in detail or pixelated?

If it's pixelated then try saving it but have any layer other than the image selected.  It should come up as being pixelated.  Then try saving it with the image layer selected.  When reopened it should come up in detail.  At least that is what is happening on my machine.

WD 3.afdesign

8 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

If you open it in the newest beta 1.10.0.6 then zoom into the meter is it in detail or pixelated?

It is clear.

I have to have it zoomed in to 400 % in order to see the pixelation. And again it is just for a beat. With the retail version it is clear from the very beginning. This is with any layer selected or no layer selected.

For what it is worth I have 64 GB of ram on my 2013 mac pro.

The same thing is happening with the Beta of Photo and Publisher. The retail versions open the file with no problem.

14 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It is clear.

Weird!  Thanks.  I guess we'll see if the dev's have any ideas.

It's definitely not a timing issue, because if I immediately click the image layer then the visibility twice it just pops into clarity.  Where as 15 minutes later it's still not in detail if I don't touch the visibility.

• Staff

Hi Gear maker,

Thank you very much for the file. I can replicate it here using both 1.10.0.6 and 1.10.0.9, interestingly it is fine on Windows. It does sound like the same issue WaveF is having below. I'll get it passed on to development to be investigated.

• Staff

Just to add the problem seems to mainly occur on non-retina displays so that will explain why Old Bruce isn't seeing it and both Gear maker and myself are (judging by the Mac dates listed in both of your signatures).

Retina machines can 'reproduce' this issue but you have to set your Retina Rendering option in Preferences > Performance to Low Quality (Fastest).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.