You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported jpg from Affinity Photo turning black after a few seconds

I have been creating drawings using Affinity Photo and exporting them as jpgs. When I open the jpg in "Photos" the image appears for a few seconds then the image turns black with the lines barely visible. This only happens with jpgs that I have created from Affinity. If I do a screengrab using Snagit the image that I capture and save as jpg is OK. My photographfiles  etc all open correctly. I have attached the image in Affinity that I capture using Snagit and convert to jpg and the image that I export from Affinity and open in Photos.

black image.jpg

saved from snagit.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 5:12 PM, SPaceBar said:

HI @DavidHeatherington I downloaded the second image, placed it in Affinity Photo, exported as JPG and added it to Photos and it looks fine to me. Are these the right steps?

Would you be able to upload the Affinity Photo document and the JPG here for me please? That way I can take a look.

Attached the document and jpg

1 Timothy Hackworth Aug 1.jpg

1 Timothy Hackworth July 30.afpub

Results when opening the exported JPG:

1. LibreOffice Draw: appears as normal
  2. IrfanView: appears as normal
  3. Microsoft Paint: appears as normal
  4. Firefox: appears as normal
  5. Photoshop CS6: appears as normal
  6. Windows Snip & Sketch: appears as normal
  7. Windows Photos: normal for a few seconds then all (mostly) black. Right-click and select Edit & Create -> Edit and appears as normal.

Issue with Photos?

6 hours ago, Lem3 said:

Results when opening the exported JPG:

1. LibreOffice Draw: appears as normal
  2. IrfanView: appears as normal
  3. Microsoft Paint: appears as normal
  4. Firefox: appears as normal
  5. Photoshop CS6: appears as normal
  6. Windows Snip & Sketch: appears as normal
  7. Windows Photos: normal for a few seconds then all (mostly) black. Right-click and select Edit & Create -> Edit and appears as normal.

Issue with Photos?

yup in Microsoft Paint: mine appears normal as well, but Windows Photos is where i am getting the blackening problem (after a few seconds of the photo looking normal)

For me, the image is only displayed totally darkened when I open it via the Explorer context menu "Open with...".

If, on the other hand, I first open Microsoft Photos and open the large view, which is also displayed with the command "Open with...", the picture is displayed normally and does not change to the darkened view.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Similarly, I opened Photos, added the folder containing the exported jpg and opened the image inside Photos.  No problem found, it appeared as normal without darkening. 

There are people reporting this issue with Photos separately from Affinity images:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-images-turn-black-reversed/86e95b87-54ec-4752-b915-a386029a3134

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-photo-viewer-cannot-display-image/7f5dcc07-eca1-4cc6-857b-531f52de79c9

i think i fixed it, but the solution may not work for everybody.  when i went back in to re-export my jpg, i pushed the MORE button, and then i unchecked the boxes Embed ICC Profile and Embed Metadata.  granted, if i were using ICC Profiles & metadata, i would find this an unacceptable workaround. lol

Hello at all,

this error also occurs with images that were/are created with Photoshop or other programmes; namely whenever a jpg file is output in CYMK colour format. MS Photo has a problem with this. Members of the Microsoft Forum have reported the same problems.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!