You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for advice on colouring the back of this car.

Hi guys,

Looking for advice on how to colour the back of this Lister Storm accurately.

The work flow I have in my head at the moment is to create an overall outline of the car. Then a second shape using the pen to outline the coloured section and mask it inside the car and maybe fill this green as this is the bulk of the colour. To achieve the coloured 'splodges'(?) I'm considering doing rough shapes and then gaussian blur as opposed to using any gradients.

Does this seem logical? If not does anyone have any tips. 

Many thanks!

df2c3ecf-1215-4523-8b20-b1b0135512b2.jpg

This is quite a vague set of statements and questions.
Can you explain more about what you mean by “colour”? It already looks quite colourful.
What do you mean by “back of”? Where does the back stop being the back?
Is your example image what you are starting with, or has it already been altered? (If it’s not your starting image can you provide that instead?)
What is it that you are trying to achieve?
Which Affinity application(s) do you have access to?

Sorry, reading that back it is quite vague. 

I plan to trace this image, starting with an overall outline of the car (the shell) and fill this shape black and black is the majority of the car. 

As for the multi coloured section of the car from the rear and going up over the sills/roof, i was going to outline that and mask it to the black shape. Then within this new shape i would add several other shapes that make up the multi-coloured part and use the gaussian tool to create that effect. 

I think you will find Taz is recreating the car in Affinity, 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 7/30/2021 at 4:15 AM, T4Z said:

I'm considering doing rough shapes and then gaussian blur as opposed to using any gradients.

I'm assuming seeing as you are using AD you want to do this completely with vectors.  Yes, your suggested action sounds correct.  I think you'll want to draw each surface, then start with the bigger area, green.  Then yellow, then red.  Attached is a quick example of the issue I'd attack it.  Good luck.

racecar.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

@Gear maker Thank you!

This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. The work flow I had in my head didn't seem quite right to me and just wanted others opinions. The file you shared is exactly what i had in mind and actually seems to work better than I expected. 

Appreciate your help and time putting that together. 😃