You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Including AppleScript Functionality in Apps

There's an Applescripting list which is really good which Apple hosts.

There's also some work on a standard scripting library which would be nice to get Apple to include w/ the OS, but I can't paste anything into this...

I've gotten stuff done w/ AppleScript which just wasn't feasible otherwise --- including one script which Adobe's scripting evangelist stated was flat out impossible.

There's an Applescripting list which is really good which Apple hosts.

There is also a section of Apple Discussions for Applescript frequented by some users with a lot of expertise & a willingness to help others, plus several independent web sites fully or partially devoted to Applescript scripting techniques -- there actually is quite a bit of support if you know where to look for it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

How about SWIFT?  It appears to be a serviceable language, is now available on multiple platforms (leading to one headline "You can now tailor Swift" somewhere :) ) and it's open sourced now.  That does not maketh a public language yet, but the signs are good.

I don't know Affinity's code base, but as they started on Mac it does not seem unreasonable to assume the core code is closer to OSX than Windows which has implications for porting features across.

Having said that, just some plain Applescript support would be a good start :).

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Oh please release a set of automator actions. I miss being able to use the Photoshop CC actions to batch compress images to different output formats among other super useful tasks. Also the batch processing in Affinity Photo is broken for me it just crashes all the time or is non responsive