You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash if Opening a file with a mismatched OCIO configuration or if Affinity has not yet had OCIO configured.

I was working on a file with a custom OCIO 1.0  config that Redshift made for Blender.   I decided that I wanted to change to a un-modified OCIO 1.0 config for ACES 1.2.  So I repointed Affinity Photo to that config and restarted the app.  Upon opening my file I got a crash.

I expected it to need to have my OCIO adjustments changed but, I don't get an opportunity to fix them.  I went back to my old config and could open the file. I tried to delete all the adjustments and set the file to unmanaged in the 32-bit preview and saved a copy.  But even that copy crashed Affinity Photo if I tried to use the unmodified OCIO 1.0 config.  So I had to recreate my file to use another config.   We will need a way to fix this sort of problem without  having to start over with a new file.

I hope you can use this file to build a little more robustness in how it handles moving between OCIO configs so that we can at least get back into files and correct OCIO settings.  Fortunately, this was just a test file for me and nothing important.

This is with Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035

This also happens if you have a file set to use OCIO but open it on another computer that does not yet have OCIO configured in preferences.  In both cases we should get a descriptive error message and an opportunity to change the OCIO config rather than a hard crash of the app.  Without better error handling users would not have any idea how to fix it or assume the file was corrupt.

AirwolfPos_Test.afphoto

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Stuckpixel,

Sorry for the delay. May I ask if this is still reproducble in the current 1.10 Windows build? I cannot get the crash so I'd also kindly ask you for the crash report if it's still affecting 1.10.

Affinity Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Microsoft Store version - Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports

You can access the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

It seems to be able to open the file now without crashing, so I can repoint to the correct OCIO config.   In this case, I have the ocio config folder renamed to test while the preferences still point to the old location.  The color is obviously not being corrected by OCIO, but Affinity Photo does not tell you that it can't find a config where you told it there would be one.   A message saying that there is no valid config OCIO at the location set in preferences would be a good thing to add.   I will try a few more things to see If I can crash it.  But it looks like critical issue if fixed.

Thank you for following up.  Affinity Photo's OCIO support and ability to use all your major functions in 32-bit color is a big differentiator from your well known competitor. I think you will be picking up market share from 3D/VFX people who need these features.

• 6 months later...

It is still happening, I attached my crash reports. 

NULL_POINTER_READ_c0000005_libocio.dll!OpenColorIO::v1::Processor::getGpuLut3D
On 7/30/2021 at 6:31 AM, Stuckpixel said:

This also happens if you have a file set to use OCIO but open it on another computer that does not yet have OCIO configured in preferences.  In both cases we should get a descriptive error message and an opportunity to change the OCIO config rather than a hard crash of the app.  Without better error handling users would not have any idea how to fix it or assume the file was corrupt.

f60196f7-31b7-48e9-aba1-73fe66593ecf.dmp