You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo doesn't start any more after 1.9.2. update

• Staff

Hi @FraGa,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Can you please confirm for me, do you see any error messages or crash reports on screen when attempting to open Affinity?

How far does the app load? Do you see the splash screen before the app crashes? Does the application load, and then crash? Or do you see little to no reaction on screen when trying to start the app?

Please see the below linked FAQ and be sure to check the Third Party apps list - do you have any of these installed?

If not, please follow the instructions to provide a crash report and your log.txt, so I can look into this further.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C,

thanks for the reply.

The App doesn't load at all. Nothing happens: no reaction, no application screen. Nothing !

After deinstalling 1.9.2. and reinstalling 1.9.0. the older version runs fine.

I will start to check the FAQ about this issue and try to create a  crash report...

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad to hear a previous version is working correctly for you in the meantime!

Can you please open Affinity 1.9.0, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks once again!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot! I would have expected that Hardware Acceleration was causing this issue for you - however I can see this is disabled in your screenshot and it would have remained disabled when installing the 1.9.2 update.

Therefore, this may be being caused by your current GPU driver, so I'd like to request that you download the latest driver from the following link, and also download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) -

Nvidia Drivers - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

DDU - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Please run DDU first to remove the current drivers you have installed, then install the latest drivers you've just downloaded and restart your system.

Rather than installing 1.9.2, I'd then like to request that you install the 1.10 beta version, to see if this works as expected for you. This can be installed alongside version 1.9.0, so that you can test both apps at once - 

Please do let me know if this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
21 minutes ago, BofG said:

Am I the only one who wears a tin foil hat and wouldn't install that?

We recommend DDU as many other sites and platforms also recommends this tool to users on their forums, as well as I believe Intel (or perhaps Nvidia, I can't remember the exact specifics unfortunately!) have also asked us directly to run this tool on a users computer following crash reports we forwarded to them during the initial Hardware Acceleration launch and I would not expect a major player such as Intel/Nvidia to recommend this, if they were not sure regarding it's legitimacy.

I believe Wagnar (the creator of the tool) works closely with Nvidia, as they post updates regarding the tool directly to the Nvidia forums and it is well regarded as the best tool of it's kind across many different tech support sites/forums. It doesn't require installation, is designed to be ran in Safe Mode, and also shows the following warning on first launch, recommending you create a backup before starting etc - 

image.png

However, we do understand that this is a third party app, and I do agree that you can never be too careful. 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

News about the problem described with Win 7 and Affinity Photo 1.9.2:

While installing the latest available updates from Win 7 - NOT using DDU - the system crashed completely. After that using a restore point or even a system backup wasn't successful. So I decided to rebuild the system with Win 10. As a result there is no helpful information for other Win 7 users that may have the same problem with the latest AP version. But my desktop works fine now with Affinity Photo and Designer.