You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes

On 7/1/2021 at 7:31 PM, walt.farrell said:

If disabling OpenCL works, you may have experienced a bug in the graphics drivers installed on your system. And in that case your "true solution" may be to uninstall those graphics drivers and install an updated set from your video card manufacturer that doesn't have the bug that was causing the failure before.

Hi Walt,

well, I also struggle over and over again. I checked my graphics card driver - it's up-to-date and honestly, I am no programmer but have the feeling, that there is something implemented in the last update which causes this problem. I was so frustrated that I experienced so many freezings that I finally neglected to work on my Windows PC set up in my office with large LG 94UM95-P Monitor and switched to my MacBook pro but also here I cannot work fluently - same crashes, possibly not that often, but same story.

When can we expect an update taking care of this issue? I was so fond of all three Affinity applications and the interaction of those but lately I avoided to work with Affinity applications and tried to do what I had to do with other applications.

Barbara

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what??

I need to edit several shots, jumped in and followed your instruction  carl123, I set the Renderer setting to Warp on my Windows 10 PC!!!!

I was lucky to be able to develop one RAW file including cropping without any other edits, saved this 1st file and fetched the second RAW file and ended up with the hour glass for several minutes on selecting the Histogram tab - no chance to work, I had to terminate AP through Task Manager.

Are you still convinced the problem is caused by old graphic's card driver??? (Well, mine are still updated but as per your instruction inactive).

Please stop all those support question turning back and forth (in German we call in "Supportgelaber" - we need a solution for the issue to work as we where able before the last update!!!

As I stated, I am not a programmer, but since 15 years I am a Beta-Tester for another graphics application in the field of machine embroidery and believe me, it's around the 9th version I am testing and working with and not only new tools didn't work correctly, by far no, functions which worked flawlessly suddendly hickupped (in German we call it a little bit ironic  Verschlimmbessserung - kind of disimprovement! But the developers respectively programmers set up patches to return to normal behaviour and that is, what is important.

Edited by basabi
forgot to mention the used OS

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

• Staff
11 hours ago, basabi said:

I set the Renderer setting to Warp on my Windows 10 PC!!!!

This was recommended to see if the graphics driver was at fault. It appears not if the issue persists. However, using WARP can cause everything to slow down dramatically and it is not really recommended to work in WARP - this might be causing you other issues.

Walt suggested fully removing your graphics drivers—not simply making sure they are updated. Removing them and reinstalling a fresh driver, from our experience, usually works better than just updating. It's worth a shot if you haven't already.

However, after saying thatt, it sounds like you are still having the same/similar issues on the MacBook Pro so this could potentially be a workflow issue. We would ideally need to know what steps you are doing and get an image/file from you to see if we can reproduce it in a similar enviornment. You might be doing something specific that is triggering a crash.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, basabi said:

When can we expect an update taking care of this issue?

We need to find and isolate the issue first. At present, we have no idea what we would need to fix.

11 hours ago, basabi said:

Please stop all those support question turning back and forth (in German we call in "Supportgelaber" - we need a solution for the issue to work as we where able before the last update!!!

Walt and Carl among others are just trying to gather additional information to assist us with diagnosing what is happening. Unfortunately, this can take many replies forwards and backwards. 

It doesn't look like you've sent over any crash reports so we would happily look at those for you. Both from macOS and Windows if possible. Crash reports can be found by using this FAQ - 

Also, it might be worth installing the beta. The beta has had a plethora of updates over the 1.9 retail version so it's worth installing that, repeating your typical workflow and seeing if you are still crashing.

Mac beta - 

Windows beta - 

This is not me asking you to test our software—this is me asking you to see if your issues may have been resolved in a newer version of the app. They will install alongside your retail version. 

Hi Chris,

well, I posted what I found in terms of chrash reports already April 19th, 2021 - 03:06 after I was claiming frequent crashes in Photo

------

--

--

Here are the crash reports which I just picked from appdata/roaming/affinity/photo/1.0/CrashReports/reports.

Sorry, no newer ones - I expected to have lots of reports but also some weeks ago I took a look into this file and also nothing newer than  May 24th

14e9b2b1-cc94-4afd-b329-f89b027faa75.dmp cc05118a-25ed-4c6a-9b39-24f85ca4aff1.dmp fdc2fe4c-84fa-4e70-b0fe-2242a6739c85.dmp

------

--

--

Hi Chris,

well, crashes do not appear in the same situations - I tried to track when and what I did, but even I myself cannot reproduce what happened ones willingly - I know, that's no base to solve issues - I would be more than happy to provide you with such dets to help, but it is like the cat which catches is own tail.

One thing which might be different sometimes compared to other users:

Sometimes, but not every time!, I view my RAWs in ACDsee. I do not develop them there but open up Affinity Photo from there to develop and edit the images only in Affinity Photo - I uses ACDSee only as catalogue application on Mac as well on Windows

Barbara

------

--

--

Hello @basabi 

As I can see from the crash reports, components of the Intel graphics card driver are triggering the crashes.

I therefore recommend that you completely uninstall the graphics card drivers with the Display Driver Uninstaller. Please use a freshly downloaded driver package for the reinstallation of the drivers.

Download DDU (please scroll down and click on ***Official Download Here***)
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3576

Download Intel GPU:
https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/support/products/126789/graphics/graphics-for-8th-generation-intel-processors/intel-uhd-graphics-620.html#:~:text=neueste treiber und software

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Thanks for your investigation. Up to know the daily biz did not grant me enough time without being disturbed to follow your instructions.

Nevertheless and just as intermediate note from my side  - as suggested by Chris B - I jumped in and installed Photo Beta version the day before yesterday. Well, only two crashes the first day (ones I copied part of a design opened in Beta and pasted it into another one in Beta version).

Yesterday I worked all day long developing and editing several RAWs as well as today and up to now no hickups (cross fingers)

------

--

--