You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.7)

I wasn't having a problem with the movable rotation centre in fact it made a huge difference to the way I could 'animate' some mechanisms.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

We can now open multi page PDF (YEAH!) :) , can we also export them? AD just crashed at the first attempt but I think it´s supposed to work at some point?

It's supposed to work now, for PDF using Whole Document. I just tried it and it did work for me. Do all your individual artboards export OK? Perhaps there is some other PDF export issue not related to this.

I just tried a multi page pdf that was once created with word.
I could PM it to you or MEB if you want to but I don't need this feature in the next weeks so if you think you'll make some improvements yourself anyway, then I'll be happy to try it again with publisher and report a bug if needed ;)

And yes I selected "whole document" and it crashed just straight away ;)

EDIT

I just dropped it along with some info into MEBs dropbox

- the export works for PDF  X-1a (just tried this one)

- it failed for standard PDF (for export)

Edited by MBd

Opening a multi-page PDF works fine for me, however there are two kinks:

1) I cannot turn the transparent background on and off.

When the file is newly opened (Word file converted to PDF), the background is shown as transparent, but the document settings are set to "not transparent" (box not ticked) — I tried switching back and forth a couple of times, but it doesn't work

2) Currently, all pages are all lined up horizontally when opening a multipage PDF file.

It would be great, if I could choose an arrangement scheme when opening the file (e.g. 2-page spreads, single page, horizontal, vertical …). This is not a bug, just a suggestion for when you have some spare time and don't know what to do. ;o)

So cool to finally see artboards in AD!

A few observations:

• "Insert artboard" with the "document" size selected seems like it should make a blank copy of the current artboard. Instead, it makes a new artboard the size of all artboards, which results in exponentially larger artboards. This is probably a bug. :)
  • The "v" shortcut to cycle the selection tool only works some of the time (in the other case, it cycles the selection tool "on" and "off" rather than choosing the artboard tool). It would be preferable to always be able to cycle it to the artboard tool with the keyboard.
  • This is probably something that will come with future Affinity Publisher development, but it would be nice to have the option to automatically rearrange artboards. 
  • The pasteboard behavior is perfect. Having a shape crop as it leaves the artboard, but reappear once it's completely off, is the behavior Adobe should have thought of 10 years ago. You guys totally nailed it.
  • It took me awhile to figure out that I could change the color of an artboard to get rid of the transparency grid. Not sure what you could do to make it more discoverable, but it's a great feature!

1) I cannot turn the transparent background on and off.

Yeah, that's a bug we'd noticed. For now you should be able to select the artboard itself and give it a white fill. It's not quite right (blend modes will interact with it when they wouldn't with a document background) but it may help.

2) Currently, all pages are all lined up horizontally when opening a multipage PDF file.

It would be great, if I could choose an arrangement scheme when opening the file (e.g. 2-page spreads, single page, horizontal, vertical …). This is not a bug, just a suggestion for when you have some spare time and don't know what to do. ;o)

We plan to implement multi-page documents, which will include two-page spreads, facing pages and the like. Artboard aren't really that. You can re-arrange them yourself if you want to.

One way is to right-click on an object and use Add to Swatches... > From Fill as Global. Another is to use the Swatches page, click on the to-right hamburger menu and use Add Global Colour. They are applied as normal colours. Currently the Add to Swatches method does not change the colour of the object you clicked on, so you probably will want to immediately re-apply it.

Trying to figure how these dartboards work, I run into a couple of frustrating pitfalls.

1. Hitting ⌘A will select the all the artboards and not the objects inside the artboard.

2. Drag select doesn't select the objects.

3. Running the arrange functions, will result in some weird results. As it is now, it doesn't use the artboard the objects appears on, it will arrange the objects based on all your artboards. Some times it result in invisible    objects. So it seems that you can arrange/align your artboards, but not your artwork properly. Maybe I'm missing someting here.. Anyone?.. 

4. The clipping of objects that extends the artboards, is there a way to make your object appear on both artboards, as they covers both edges, without having to copy and paste into new artboard, then realign?

@Paekke

#4 >> you mean something like: there is a gap between the artboards and an object that can go through multiple artboards but the part that is between two artboards is "lost"

<< you want the object/ image to go over several artboards but the area between them should be ignored from the objects point of view? ;)

Like the gray part of the triangle should not get lost but be in the yellow or blue artboard.

PS: my Mac also liked dartboards more than artboards ;) 

Oh my goodness, there’s something I hadn’t noticed before … you can scale and rotate objects at the same time by holding the Control key now … that’s great! Has that option been already there in previous versions? If so, I would feel deeply embarrassed … :D

And here’s a quick suggestion. Would you mind to keep the rotation centre at the same size, regardless of the bounding box handle size? If you are using smaller handle sizes by default, the rotation centre gets a bit cumbersome to use …  :(

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-42077000-1446902205_thumb.png

@Paekke

#4 >> you mean something like: there is a gap between the artboards and an object that can go through multiple artboards but the part that is between two artboards is "lost"

<< you want the object/ image to go over several artboards but the area between them should be ignored from the objects point of view? ;)

Like the gray part of the triangle should not get lost but be in the yellow or blue artboard.

PS: my Mac also liked dartboards more than artboards ;)

Yep that's exactly what I mean, my artboard is showing the object, but only on one of them, not both. have a look at my dartboard  :D

artboard.mov

The clipping of objects that extends the artboards, is there a way to make your object appear on both artboards, as they covers both edges, without having to copy and paste into new artboard, then realign?

No offense, Paekke, but I would like to believe the current way to handle artboard contents is very well conceived. Imagine the case you create two artboards, each one with objects overlapping the border, and you want to align them tightly side by side on your canvas, just like in your movie … I fear it would give me tremendous headaches, if the overlapping contents of the first one showed up on the second one and vice versa …  :unsure:

A_B_C yes for shure

This would clearly have to be an option and not a default

But for example this would make it easy to spread a big image over several pages as a coherent background which could be a nice design (just as one example).

A_B_C yes for shure

This would clearly have to be an option and not a default

But for example this would make it easy to spread a big image over several pages as a coherent background which could be a nice design (just as one example).

@MBd you know what I mean @A_B_C I'm also glad that they doesn't overlap as default, but having an option to show on multiple artboards would be great.

This would clearly have to be an option and not a default …

Alright then, an option could be fine … but I fear this option will be difficult to implement, as it breaks the current layer logic. At the moment, the contents (layers) of an artboard show up as descendants (children, grand-children, …) of that very artboard. But layers are organised in a tree-like structure. So the layer logic requires, that no layer can have two different ancestor layers that do not stand in the ancestor-descendant relation to each other. However, that would be the case, if a single layer (like a big background image) were the descendant of two artboards that don’t share this relation, as Paekke seems to have suggested in his video …  :unsure:

And artboards as descendants of artboards are acting “intersective” with respect to their contents (descendants) at the moment … see below.

post-1198-0-21898800-1446904001_thumb.png

Okay, A_B_C I´m share your point is valid although I didn´t quite get it....

EDIT:

now at my mac I see the picture and know what you mean but i don´t think that´s an issue because then the part of the overlapping artboards would be present in both artboards (from my logic standpoint of the alternative behavior)

But for sure there are also workarounds for "our problem" and artboards are V0.1 so we could probably look at this again when publisher is in beta or when it´s released. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.