You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.7)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer
Mac App Store: Not Submitted
Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Notable changes:
- Artboards. These are still work-in-progress and you can expect a few niggles, but at least you can see the direction we're heading. At present we still need to add auto-slice creation to Export Persona for artboards and we also show an occasional flicker when adding artboards: these will be fixed before the next update. We also need to move guide, grid and rulers to work per-artboard, so these are currently not as they will be in the final release and will be fixed asap.
- Global colours.
- Full support for P3 panels found in the new 5k iMac and 4k iMac. If you have one of these you can try making a new RGB8 document with ProPhoto profile and choosing RGB(255,0,0) or RGB(0,255,0) as the colour of your objects - they should look richer and more vivid than you are used to seeing.
- View points added to the Navigator. The Navigator has an advanced mode that lets you choose to create and swap between specific view zoom/position saved points.
- Font fixes. Specifically, a number of font-related crashes have been addressed
- Export/Import improvements - particularly PDF.
- Fix for Text tool failing to accept certain characters (those that were mapped to other shortcuts!)
- Snapping improved for Rotation Centre. Rotation Centre is available from the Move Tool's context toolbar.
- Pantone/named colour/tint improvements. Selecting an object which has a Pantone colour will automatically choose the tint options in the colour panel.
- Canvas rotation. The canvas can be rotated by using the touchpad's rotate gesture or by using the View menu items 'Rotate Left', 'Rotate Right' or 'Reset Rotation'.
- Fix for colour conversion issues exhibited with HSL colours in RGB document formats.
- Character & Paragraph panel improvements.
- Typography panel show visually the effects of different OpenType features. Select some text and go to the Typography panel - this will show you the available options for your current font and text selection. Try changing fonts for more options.
- Printer’s marks and bleed available for output. The export options for PDF now include these additional options, as does the Print dialog.
- Smart Tap feature. Toggle between the current zoom and 100% by double-tapping with two fingers on the trackpad. This is useful for designing up close and being able to easily refer to a 100% view and then back again.
- Updated splash screens. These are necessary as we need to include Pantone licensing information.
- Added Split-toning adjustment. This is available from the Layers panel's adjustments menu and the main Layers->Adjustments menu.
- Snapshots panel. This panel (disabled by default) allows you to take a snapshot of the document in the current state and refer back to it at later points.
- Added shortcuts for the different Personas. These can be customised by the user as desired.

Hi Matt,

The download link still points to the 1.3.5.5 version.  Could you please fix that?

Thanks.

Nana

Thanks Matt and don't worry.  I reset by holding down CTRL has fixed it.  :)

Thanks so much for your great work.  Affinity products are shaping to be truly great. Good to see you guys giving your all to get these regular updates to us.

Hi lexislav,

I believe that's not possible currently. You can only enable it for export.

Hi Nana,

The link is working correctly. Pease refresh (reload) you browser a couple times. That's probably due to browser cache issues.

Yep.  I spoke too soon.  Resetting the App fixed it.

Hi lexislav,

I believe that's not possible currently. You can only enable it for export.

I can live with that, at least I won't waste anymore time searching for that functionality ;-)

Thanks for great work and enjoy Your weekend!

Oh my goodness, thank you so much … you have been busy … artboards *and* canvas rotation *and* all those fixes … unbelievable …  :D

(By the way, will there be an option for rotating the canvas using a mouse or any other input device, besides the internal trackpad? Would be great …)

Would it be possible to disable selecting the Art-board by merely clicking on it with the Move tool, and restrict it only to the Art-board tool?

It doesn't do it with the default Art-board, but as soon as you try it with a second or third art-board you'll see what I mean/

Right now it's causing all sorts of wonkiness.

Thanks for this, been looking forward to having multiple pages for a while!

BTW, isn't the Art-board the area surrounding the multiple pages? If not, what do you call the empty area?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I'm also getting a weird "flash" at the end of the screen redraw after I zoom in or out.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Artboards need to be made from the new doc panel as well. Set number, distance etc.

Not only the flicker. Sometimes the artboards seem to randomly resize and then go back to normal size.

After just making a new doc, the V shortcut doesn’t switch to the artboard tool.

Love that you added the expand/contract item on the left side in the layers panel. Any chance to add some shortcut to switch between expand/contract state instead of having to click that icon?

Snapping to Artboards edges seems unreliable. 

How do I disable the canvas rotation? Most of the time I activate it by accident and it’s useless for UI design?

Also Aligning to Center seems to be absolutely ignorant on which artboard I am working on, my objects gets moved to center of the pasteboard 0_0 ...

P.S. And I don’t like that you can move the artboard like a layer. Locking it doesn’t help because you also can’t move the layers inside it.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

True, Ronny and 00Ghz, I was just about to report these redraw bugs as well … they appear frequently when zooming in or out. Not sure what’s the trigger, but the issue seems to get cured, as soon as you change the preferences slider for the background grey level.  :)

(Nevertheless, it’s a great start, and I hope that reporting those little teething troubles does not sound discouraging …  :))

Artboard_Redraw_Bug.mov

I get the attached warning saying

"“Affinity Designer Beta.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

I tried downloading the designer beta twice. I don't have any problems with Photo.

Not sure what to do...

Edit: I'm on El Capitan 10.11.1

post-4060-0-87057200-1446840295_thumb.png

We can now open multi page PDF (YEAH!) :) , can we also export them? AD just crashed at the first attempt but I think it´s supposed to work at some point?

Therefore it would be helpful to not only be able to create artboards from object but also from a sort of "new document" setting?

As a technical illustrator there's nothing much in this for me. Pity there's still nothing to make the interface easier to see or angular guides. I think I'll stick to the current version.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.