You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.7)

To echo another post or two, I hate to be a broken record, but I do have to request a simplification of the color picker as well—that's probably the number one request that I've gotten from our development team on probably a dozen occasions, wondering when it will be changed. Currently it does just require too many steps.

• Staff

Hi Alex,

Yes, it was pointed out to me last week that on non-retina screens it's off-centre, I'll sort that out asap - sorry... It's an attempt to do a couple of things: Firstly, when you used to have a group/layer selected before I added this 'ring' it was quite tricky to see the arrow because it blended into the selected colour, whereas now it cuts through the selected colour around the arrow so it's always visible. Secondly, if the 'ring' is lit up it means that you're inside this hierarchy - your currently selected item is inside it (so it's easier to see whereabouts in the structure your current selection is) and also it means that when you create a new object (draw a rectangle for example) it will be created inside that container. You'll notice that it shows lit up when you select a layer (because you'll make the next object inside it) but not lit up if you select a group (because you will create the next object on top of it - by default).

Hope that makes some sense? :)

Matt

Would it be possible to disable selecting the Art-board by merely clicking on it with the Move tool, and restrict it only to the Art-board tool?

@ronnyb,

The Move tool will only select an artboard if it is empty.

If an artboard has contents:

• the Move tool will only select objects placed on the artboard
  • the Artboard tool will only select the artboard

So what is an artboard? No mention in the Help.

@bpedit,

There is a book dedicated to artboards in the Help. From the Help menu, select Affinity Designer Help. You'll find the dedicated book listed third from the top in the table of contents on the left.

Alternatively, from the Help menu, search 'artboards' to bring up all the relevant topics.

A few observations:

• It took me awhile to figure out that I could change the color of an artboard to get rid of the transparency grid. Not sure what you could do to make it more discoverable, but it's a great feature!

@Clayton,

There is a topic in the Help, Artboard colour and opacity, which covers this.

--

We aimed to cover artboards as comprehensively as possible, but if we've missed documenting any vital functionality, please let us know. Likewise, if anything is confusing or you think it would benefit from being expanded upon, please get in touch.

Edited by nravenlock
improved layout

Just a quick thank you for the update.

The Art board feature will make my life significantly easier - Proper cropping of artwork for slice creation, perfect for my workflow!

... if I could multi-select slices in the export persona slice panel to toggle them on/off (like you can with objects in the Draw persona) life would possibly be too easy :)

All the best.

Thanks, Matt, for this detailed explanation … it makes perfect sense …  :)

(Although the following might seem a little bit nit-picking … maybe a simple colour inversion of the triangle icon would suffice to achieve the desired effect. To my eyes, the ring indicates something like “Watch out, there’s a very special function applied here!”, but maybe that was due to being so accustomed to the old interface … On the other hand I would like to believe, that we could get rid of this “exclamation mark,” but I don’t know how your UI designers feel about it … perhaps there’s a problem, when the brighter background of the triangle and the layer highlight meet, but maybe this issue could be met by using an even brighter background circle … just an idea …  :unsure:)

Thanks again, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-45104000-1447085833_thumb.png

Designer quits immediately when I select PDF (flatten) in the export settings. Even if I Shift-run the app and create new document.

Now I can't export anything from that app as the default export setting is that flattened :/

www.cgartists.eu

A bug I've come across:

If a member of a GROUP that's a child of another object / layer has a gaussian blur applied to it, it is no longer properly clipped by the parent layer. If it is just a normal child and not part of the group, it seems to work fine...

See attached file. The green shape with no blurring is being clipped as expected. The red shape is not being properly clipped and is overflowing on the left side. Taking away the blur makes it clip as expected.

Hope that helps.

Broken Clipping.afdesign

• Staff

@Matt,

Regarding the arrow highlighting, I would take advantage of the system highlight colour (in my case blue) to highlight the hierarchy you're in and invert it (the circle + arrow) to highlight the selected group/layer:

post-59-0-07953700-1447080997_thumb.png

If you find the white circle visually disruptive in the selected layer/group, you don't need to invert it, keep it blue with an white arrow - the circle will blend with the blue of the selected layer/group, leaving just the white arrow visible -.

Designer quits immediately when I select PDF (flatten) in the export settings. Even if I Shift-run the app and create new document.

Now I can't export anything from that app as the default export setting is that flattened :/

We're sorry about that. See my earlier post #60 in this thread for more details and workarounds.

Sorry for asking … but what’s the meaning of this single “dot” that appears when I use snapping with the Pen Tool? Of course, I can see a pattern here, but I wondered how to answer this old “bug or feature” question in that case …  :unsure:

(And, by the way … are there still any plans to add a switch to the Transform Panel that would allow entering numeric rotation values with respect to the on-canvas rotation center (and not with respect to the bounding box reference points that are shown there)? I’d welcome this option very much …  :))

Dots.mov

• Staff

Sorry for asking … but what’s the meaning of this single “dot” that appears when I use snapping with the Pen Tool? Of course, I can see a pattern here, but I wondered how to answer this old “bug or feature” question in that case …  :unsure:

(And, by the way … are there still any plans to add a switch to the Transform Panel that would allow entering numeric rotation values with respect to the on-canvas rotation center (and not with respect to the bounding box reference points that are shown there)? I’d welcome this option very much …  :))

Hi Alex,

Does the 'dot' problem happen for you on a blank new document? Does it only go wrong with artboards? I'm thinking it might be simply that these items are drawing at the wrong position and should have been drawn over the top of the snapping intersections/candidates... :)

Thanks,

Matt

Well … it seems, this issue is independent of using art boards. I created a blank document, just as you suggested, placed a square (quite randomly), and played around with the Pen Tool. Seems there are also “ghost nodes” created. Please find my video below, Matt …  :unsure:

Cheers, Alex  :)

• Staff

Hi A_B_C,
Those issues were introduced with the latest Beta (probably due to artboards) and were already logged.
You can also see them if you enable "Snap to selected curves" in the context toolbar and drag one of the nodes of a path around. You will see several red, green yellow coloured squares/dots appearing around the screen too.

Does the 'dot' problem happen for you on a blank new document? Does it only go wrong with artboards? I'm thinking it might be simply that these items are drawing at the wrong position and should have been drawn over the top of the snapping intersections/candidates... :)

Thanks,
Matt

Yes, it also happens with a simple document (no artboards.)

About the lack of a pasteboard for those of us who don't want to go through the process of creating and manipulating "artboards".

I've empirically deteremined that the area outside the printable document (no artboards here) can not only contain objects which do not print, these objects can continue to be edited. The only issue seems to be that they are not visible! It just doesn't seem like it should be much of an issue to let them be visible thereby effecting a pasteboard for those of us not needing artboards nor the extra work and management they entail.

nravenlock: thanks for the pointer, I had searched help but the first thing I saw was '(0) results for "artboards"' so I exited too soon. I'm still not sure why it would say that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.