You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.7)

Artboards are awesome! That and global colors! :) Already going to make a huge difference for me.

Two ideas for the future:

- It would be nice to switch an existing color to a global color.

- For UX work, when duplicating an artboard, guides either need to be duplicated automatically and linked to the board, or (best, for flexibility), I need to be able to select guides, copy and paste them in place relative to each artboard.

Thanks for all your hard work!

post-5843-0-67164100-1446914609_thumb.png

So, you have to create an artboard in order to access a functional pasteboard? I can see the utility of artboards but I just need a pasteboard. When using the beta without creating an artboard, it appears the area outside the canvas can contain objects like a pasteboard but they are invisible. Any way to remedy that? 

Are you planing to fix the Colour Picker at some point or give it a shortcut?? This is ridiculous! I bought this software months ago and still cannot use it! I'm stuck with Adobe because it allows me to work fast!

Why don't you fix what's most important first? It's a colour picker! The most frequently used tool! My eyes hurt and my hand hurts from using it!

I'm a bit frustrated at this point.

Thanks again for the updates!  I'm still trying to figure a lot of this out (amateur coming from CorelDraw instead of Illustrator) 

Appreciate all the help built in the app, as well as the forum!!

Still looking for the offset tool.  :-)

Thanks again for a great update!

Same for me! As soon as I select PDF it crashes on any document. 

It does look like PDF export is badly broken, I'm afraid. It's not getting its colour profiles right. As a result it either uses a default CMYK profile (even if you are trying to export to RGB), or else (for PDF/X-3 and PDF/X-4) it just crashes. Either way isn't really usable. If you are crashing, then CTRL+runup with Clear User Defaults checked will reset the dialog so it doesn't open on the PDF page so you can at least export as something else. You can still output a PDF by using File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF..., albeit without any of the new features.

I'm very sorry about this. We'll get it fixed in the next update.

UNION just paralyzed my computer to the point where after 10 minutes waiting for it to put together fat outlines around a bunch of grapes, I had to force restart the whole computer.  It would be great to be able to implement some kind of QUIT on some of these functions for when they develop fatal errors, or whatever causes it to stall.  I've had this happen to me with Union a few times now.  I'm using an older MacBook Pro, so I don't know if that'll be a huge part of it, but none of the rest of the app locks up my computer like this.  Otherwise, I'm enjoying the beta version so far.

Now at my mac I see the picture and know what you mean but i don’t think that’s an issue because then the part of the overlapping artboards would be present in both artboards (from my logic standpoint of the alternative behavior) …

Hi MBd,

let me apologize for explaining myself in an incomprehensible way. What I wanted to say is just simple, if you look at more specific examples. Layers are obviously organised in a tree-like structure, just as shown in my illustration below. I labeled the document (root of the tree) with the empty string, and the children (immediate descendants) of the document with the letters A and B. (As an aside, note that there is also an order relation on the nodes of the tree, that defines the z-index of the respective layers.)

Now, the triangle, present on artboard A, is a grand-child of A, whereas the circle is a child of B. Furthermore, the artboards A and B do not stand in a ancestor-descendant relation to each other (none of them is the child, grand-child, … of the other one). So what would happen, if we wanted to have the very same object to be present on artboard A and artboard B at the same time and still adhere to the assumption that objects that are present on an artboard have to be descendants of that very artboard in our layers tree? This object would have to assume a position like the red X in my illustration (or a comparable one), thereby breaking the tree structure … so that could present a problem …  :unsure:

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-56362500-1446972904_thumb.png

If I try to implement the power duplicate function in conjunction with the fixed rotation point of an object I really get lost, in that it behaves very weird. Trying to make a flower design for practice but I can't get it. The copied, pasted new petal in its new location to continue the pattern all the way around does not remember the last movement position. 

ah

so what you´re saying is that it´not clear to which artboard the cross-artboard-object would belong?

- well .... I wound´t care if the object would belong to one artboard or the other, as long as it´s visible on both artboards ;) 

- and this would be possible if it would be placed at the very bottom - then it would probably be a children of artboard B

Margin set in Document is going around all dartboard (see the picture)… shouldn't be inside of each artboard?

I can confirm other bugs as well:

– not able to export PDF (even to get to dialog to change PDF version), app crash immediately

– not able to print on local printer (app crash imm.)

– inserting dartboard by Insert dartboard button creates dartboard of width of all present artboards

Also other suggestions in this thread are very reasonable:

– duplicating / creating new dartboard by Insert dartboard should copy margins, guides, background color settings from document to make out work easier.

post-1445-0-61361400-1446975130_thumb.png

If I try to implement the power duplicate function in conjunction with the fixed rotation point of an object I really get lost, in that it behaves very weird. Trying to make a flower design for practice but I can't get it. The copied, pasted new petal in its new location to continue the pattern all the way around does not remember the last movement position. 

Okay I figured out that the initial Cmd+J is key getting this going.

I fear it’s a bug, Tatiana … I see the same here …  :(

But you can try this: Create a rectangle shape of the desired size and convert it to an artboard afterwards using Layer > Convert Object to Artboard. That should work …  :)

post-1198-0-20783500-1446977682_thumb.png

I fear it’s a bug, Tatiana … I see the same here …  :(

But you can try this: Create a rectangle shape of the desired size and convert it to an artboard afterwards using Layer > Convert Object to Artboard. That should work …  :)

Hi, A_B_C

Thank you very much for your answer, it helped  :)

Affinity Please do not follow adobe on their crappy opentype feature UI. At the moment i cant see if the font is using Faux small caps or does the font support real small caps. Its really important for me at least that i can quickly see what does the font support and what does Affinity generate. The Opentype window is super cool! and works this almost perfectly. <3

• Staff

I am getting no snapping on this, the second artboard and only on the left hand side, see video.

Margin set in Document is going around all dartboard (see the picture)… shouldn't be inside of each artboard?

I can confirm other bugs as well:

– not able to export PDF (even to get to dialog to change PDF version), app crash immediately

– not able to print on local printer (app crash imm.)

– inserting dartboard by Insert dartboard button creates dartboard of width of all present artboards

Also other suggestions in this thread are very reasonable:

– duplicating / creating new dartboard by Insert dartboard should copy margins, guides, background color settings from document to make out work easier.

Hi evtonic3, lexislav,

Some features tied/linked to the artboards (like snapping, arrange, margins etc) are still not finished and don't take in consideration artboards as separate entities.

This will be improved as we move forward during the next Betas.

The issues with PDF export are already known (and logged). They should be fixed in the next Beta.

I have no artboard tool or panel or whatever.  Just the option to convert an object to an artboard and visa versa.

Is there something I'm missing?

but thanks anyways - as a former FH user I've been looking forward to artboards since forever ago

one planet, one chance

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.