You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Grammar Check in Affinity Publisher

I see Affinity Publisher has a spell check... but how can I grammar check? Is there an App? and Add-on? a plugin? Does "Grammarly" work within Affinity Publisher? Or is there another third party App that can help?

I have searched high and low on these forums, and the tutorials by Serif and Google searches to find the answer but not coming up with much except pasting the text into an external App.

I have a 300 page book divided into 17 chapters i.e. lots of individual text frames, so I'm not really that keen to copy and paste the text somewhere else to grammar check it then paste it back into each frame again. I also don't want to risk piracy or compromising confidential information by pasting the text into an external App that operates on a website somewhere.

I'm on a Mac desktop if that makes any difference.

There is no grammar checking function in Publisher. You will need to do it outside of Publisher in a different application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

It would be extremely convenient to have Grammarly or Ginger working in Publisher.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

On 7/28/2021 at 12:25 AM, Outlandish said:

how can I grammar check? Is there an App? and Add-on? a plugin? Does "Grammarly" work within Affinity Publisher? Or is there another third party App that can help? (...)

I'm on a Mac desktop if that makes any difference.

One possible workaround in macOS for English grammar check:

1. Export .afpub as .pdf
2. Open PDF in the PDF-viewer "Podofyllin.app" https://eclecticlight.co/tag/podofyllin/   (free, 18 MB)
3. Export text as .txt
4. Open in a grammar checker tool, e.g. "TextLint-OneClick.app" http://scg.unibe.ch/research/textlint   (free, 60 MB)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My two cents.

Dear Serif team, having spell check is good, but tone and writing style like Grammarly, is a LEAP vs what Affinity Publisher can do: there is no comparison, specially when English is your second language. There is a reason why Grammarly is commercially viable: becasue people need it and spell check doesn't make the cut.

Can you, please, integrate Grammarly?

Just curious but how many languages does Grammarly support? How would it work in a multi-language document? Is it strictly cloud based (so it requires an internet connection) or is there a self-contained downloadable version that would work if internet access is slow or unavailable?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, JosueVivas said:

They only support English.

You can have local app installed, but the magic happens in their servers in the cloud.

So from that I gather it would not be possible to build it into APub such that it would work without an internet connection, & there is no way it could be integrated with Affinity's multi-language support for spell checking, for grammar checking, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Anna Doyle said:

I also have a book 330 pages, and in the editing phase. Very disappointed I can't use Grammarly.

Ironic that this works while I am writing this email.

Hi @Anna Doyle and welcome to the forums.

Serif has closed the issue with Grammarly as it can't be duplicated in the latest version. They didn't fix anything, it's just that nobody could duplicate the issue any longer.

However, a similar issue with Grammarly cropped up this week with another feature (footnote separator). It's being investigated now but I checked the FAQ and noted that Grammarly isn't compatible with any apps downloaded from the Apple App Store. We don't know yet if all the users who previously reported the Grammarly conflict with Find and Replace were using Publisher installed form the App Store or not, but this might be the source of the conflict.

If you're using Publisher downloaded from the Apple Store and really want to use Grammarly, I'd just go ahead. If you encounter the crash bug then you could try re-installing it directly from Serif's website (you wouldn't have to uninstall the App Store version first). If that solved the problem then you could just switch over to the version downloaded directly from Serif.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks, Mike. Next problem I encountered is the word count. I need to submit a word count to my publisher, and version 1 hasn't got one. 

I now need to spend $195 to upgrade to version 2. A lot of money for a word counter. Very disappointing. It looks like I have to cut and paste all the pages to MS Word. 

I am not using Apple. The rest of the program is great.

1 hour ago, Anna Doyle said:

I now need to spend $195 to upgrade to version 2. A lot of money for a word counter.

You get some other functions with V2, not just word count. For example, Footnotes/Endnotes, the Book function, better Cross-References (but not until 2.2), and more. Of course, those may not mean much for your projects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, walt.farrell said:

You get some other functions with V2, not just word count. For example, Footnotes/Endnotes, the Book function, better Cross-References (but not until 2.2), and more. Of course, those may not mean much for your projects.

Word count is not helpful, my opinion - is there a letter count as well (Zeichenanzahl in German)?

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

1 hour ago, Uwe-R-aus-B said:

Word count is not helpful, my opinion - is there a letter count as well (Zeichenanzahl in German)?

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

Yes, it has everything you could want

1462977865_Screenshot2023-04-21at9_09_25AM.png.f9444c58b160b8296c9bab6f1d2826b6.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

2 hours ago, Uwe-R-aus-B said:

Also found it : post from joe_l but thy anyway. The size and handling is tedious – from my side, but …

Why is this tedious? If you want characters instead of words you just have to click it once. The setting will be sticky and Publisher will show you characters until you change it back to words, even if that is days or months later.

• 6 months later...