You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes constantly

Hi,

My Affinity Photo is crashing couple of times a day when working with DNG files. It just closes and never restarts, sometimes it freezes and never gets back (I need to kill the process and restart it).
I have latest graphic drivers, I reinstalled the drivers from scratch and it is still happening. It drives me crazy.

What can I do to fix this?

Regards,
Marcin

Edited by Marcin Pevik
update problem description

Hello @Marcin Pevik and welcome to the forums.

Please go to preferences --> performance in AP and deactivate hardware acceleration.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Yes and no. Hardware acceleration was introduced with version 1.9; unfortunately premature and not sufficiently tested. And so it does not (yet) work with all possible hardware combinations. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 4 weeks later...

The problem still occurs to me, even after I disabled hardware acceleration. I recently updated to v. 1.10 but I can't tell if Affinity crashes because of the update or maybe was crashing before the update, I haven't used it for a while. Is there anything else I could try to debug/fix this?

• Staff

Hi @Marcin Pevik,

I recommend making sure your GPU drivers are up to date, as outdated/corrupted drivers can cause crashing whilst editing images in Affinity.

Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html 
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.
Does this help reduce the crashing you're seeing please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

I keep the drivers of decicated GPU up to date with Nvidia GeForce Experience. My drivers version is 471.68 Game Ready (that's for the dedicated GPU).
I followed your advice and checked out the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant. It also says I'm up to date with internal GPU drivers.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and my apologies for the delay here!

I can verify I'm using the same 471.68 driver version here, with a GTX 1070 and I'm not experiencing the same crashing issues reported - however these may be specific to the DNG files you're editing.

Can you please:

• Confirm the camera model / application these DNG files originate from?
  • Attach a couple of DNG files that cause the crashing for you?
  • Attach a copy of your 2 latest crash reports, following the below instructions to locate these.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

In the window that opens, you should find the .DMP files to upload to your reply here.

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi @Dan C

As promised, I got back with crash report. Affinity crashed when developing in Photo Persona. Attached dpm files.

Just wanted to mention that all my work made for this and 2 other files is gone. Affinity didn't ask me to re-open unsaved work or anything like this, after I launched it again. Is it supposed to work this way?
Edit: For one file it actually asked if I want to use recovery version when I tried to load it up again.

4ae4f88c-9cf6-4109-83f9-9e970502ceeb.dmp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Many thanks for providing this crash report and my apologies for the delayed response, as I have been out of the office until today.

Can you please provide a copy of the DNG files that are causing this crash for you? And perhaps a file that also does not crash for you? I'd like to compare the 2 files, to see if I can determine why some are being opened correctly and others crash :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Affinity Photo crashes all the time; at least once every session - it's the most unstable program I have ever had the misfortune to use.

No, I'm not using hardware acceleration; all drivers are Windows own, and I don't use a 3rd party graphics card.

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @henryg, I notice in another post of yours you confirmed the following:

On 1/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, henryg said:

I am running with standard MS drivers for my i5-8500 processor

It's very likely that these drivers are out of date and are causing the crashing within Affinity, so I'd like to make sure you have the latest installed and perform a 'clean installation' (which removes all previous versions of drivers).

Please find the below link to download the latest driver for your CPU - 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

And here you can find Intel's instructions on how to perform a clean install - 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Once completed, restart your PC and then try using Affinity once again. Does this reduce the crashing for you please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 1/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, Dan C said:

Once completed, restart your PC and then try using Affinity once again. Does this reduce the crashing for you please? :)

It's a bit early to tell so far, but it may have helped or even, hopefully, sorted the problem. I'll respond again after my next heavy editing session.

It definitely seems better with the new driver - I had erroneously thought that MS would update drivers with newer builds 😃 At one time I used to update all my drivers regularly, but stopped after one such update caused a disaster.

No more lost changes, but Photo still can be infuriatingly slow with blank layer thumbnails and blank "mini" display, eg when layer thumbnail is blank and levels or curves correction layer opened. Beginning to think it needs a more powerful processor.

When I have time, I'll try it on my laptop which has an 11th gen i7.

Anyway, @Dan C thank you for your (sage) advice 👍

6 hours ago, henryg said:

It definitely seems better with the new driver - I had erroneously thought that MS would update drivers with newer builds 😃 At one time I used to update all my drivers regularly, but stopped after one such update caused a disaster.

No more lost changes, but Photo still can be infuriatingly slow with blank layer thumbnails and blank "mini" display, eg when layer thumbnail is blank and levels or curves correction layer opened. Beginning to think it needs a more powerful processor.

When I have time, I'll try it on my laptop which has an 11th gen i7.

Anyway, @Dan C thank you for your (sage) advice 👍

Like this

image.png.83e84fed69f629c96ecc0a4e86f563e8.png