You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to regulate mask contrast, brightness etc?

Hello again!

Is there a way to control contrast, brightness etc on a mask layer?

I tried to create levels adjustment layer and put it under a mask layer, but it changed nothing.

Example: I used an image as a mask layer, but dark color in the mask is not completely black, so I have this faded effect. It would be pretty easy to fix using a level adjustment layer on the mask. But it doesn't work...

Have you tried using the Blend Ranges?, It's the small Cog icon located to the right of the Blend Modes of the Layers Panel.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Layers/layerBlendRanges.html

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Didn't know about it, tried for a little and... This is not what I wanted. It is very restrictive and doesn't work with masks the usual way. I can't control contrast, brightness of my mask using Blend Ranges.

Also, I don't get why when I put adjustment layers under masks - adjustments don't affect masks.

Photo_1627393069.png

Levels, curves and channel mixer can be used to specifically target alpha channels 

And not to forget procedural texture filter

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The Affinity community has created a special composite mask, which is a group.
With it, you can perform any manipulations with masks, as with any other layer.
And also create a complex design, consisting of many masks.

1. Install Asset Nondestructive_Mask.afassets

2. Place your mask layers (any layers type) between the Procedural Texture and the Fill Layer.

3. Change the FIll Layer color, to change the mask background transparency.

Your_different_mask_parts.png.d4058d751c83d0018305d4bf37a07e34.png

Explanations:

9 hours ago, MEB said:

Set the Channel of the Levels adjustment to Alpha to be able to affect the mask. By default its set to Master.

For some reason I cannot make a Levels adjustment layer a child of a Mask layer (or visa versa). It does not matter where I drag one layer over another (thumbnail or to the right) -- they always end up at the same level.

What am I doing wrong?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @R C-R,
Assuming you already have a pixel layer in place, two ways:
1. drag the mask over the pixel layer (not over its thumbnail), then drag the adjustment over the mask layer (not over its thumbnail) both the mask and adjustment are in clipped/child positions.
2. drag the mask over the thumbnail of the pixel layer to nest it to the pixel layer, then drag the levels adjustment over the thumbnail of the mask (the thumbnails of the mask and adjustment will be vertically aligned oner over the other - that is, both are in nested positions in relation to the pixel layer.  If you collapse the pixel layer you should see the thumbnail the mask and adjustment side by side along with the thumbnail of the pixel layer.

In both cases don't forget to set the channel of the adjustment to Alpha.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @R C-R,
Assuming you already have a pixel layer in place, two ways:
1. drag the mask over the pixel layer (not over its thumbnail), then drag the adjustment over the mask layer (not over its thumbnail) both the mask and adjustment are in clipped/child positions.
2. drag the mask over the thumbnail of the pixel layer to nest it to the pixel layer, then drag the levels adjustment over the thumbnail of the mask (the thumbnails of the mask and adjustment will be vertically aligned oner over the other - that is, both are in nested positions in relation to the pixel layer. 

I can do either of those things & get those results. But what I was commenting about was not being able to make the Levels Adjustment a child of the Mask layer, like is shown in the screenshot by @Murkku above. For me, both the mask & adjustment layers are either in the same clipped/child or nested position of the Pixel layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Not sure where the issue is?

I am not sure either, but whatever it was seems to have been temporary because today it works just like in your video. Yesterday, not only would the Levels layer not nest below the Mask layer, depending on where I dragged one or the other, the mask layer sometimes disappeared, as if the mask layer was being merged into the adjustment layer itself. Today, I cannot duplicate that behavior either.

I have not changed anything in my setup since yesterday, & I have been testing with the same simple single pixel layer AP file on both days, so I cannot explain why it works now but not before.

Affinity Photo