You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy selection to new layer

How did the second document come to exist? Did you create it by choosing "New from Clipboard" or did you create a new document first and then paste in the stuff you copied from the first image?

If you created the second document by choosing "New from Clipboard," then I agree that the transparent space is baffling. However, if you created the second document beforehand, you would have created a canvas of a given size (in your case, it is 4121x3067 pixels). When you paste in the copied stuff, you will not automatically resize the pasted pixels to match the canvas; the pasted pixels will keep their original pixel dimensions. In this case, since the second document's canvas is larger than the pixels being copied and pasted, empty space has been left around the perimeter.

You could partially solve this problem by choosing "Clip Canvas" from the Document menu after doing the Paste. However, since the pasted pixels do not form a perfect rectangle, there will always be some space around at least one or more of the edges.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

The new document were created with New from clipboard, thats why i thought it was a bit strange with the extra transparent space.

If i could cut out the selected area (without the added transparent space) theres no need to straighten the image was what i thought.

My guess is that Brian_J could be correct.
The Selection Brush Tool can pick up ‘stray’ pixels and the ‘marching ants’ only show the portion of the selection where opacity is 50% or greater. Therefore any pixels with opacity of less than 50% will not be included within the ‘marching ants’ boundary but may be included in what is copied.
In this case, you could try using the Rectangular Marquee Tool instead but you will lose some of the frame as it is not fully ‘squared’.
There are other methods of selection but they are a bit more lengthy so see what you can get with what you already have before asking about them.

Hm, maybe there some weird distortion going on. Difficult to straighten.

The bottom line is pretty straight but the top is not. So no matter what i try i am not able to get it fully squared.

Maybe its my camera lens or some settings. Im pretty sure the frame itself is squared.

You should be able to straighten the image in various ways.
You could try using the Perspective Tool and see how that goes – maybe use some guides to help with the positioning.
There will be other methods so if you can share the original image in public we can experiment and see what’s best.
(If it is a lens distortion then I’m not the best person to be advising on that.)

I'm not sure how the selection was made, but you could use the Pen tool to create a curve that outlines the subject mater of your photo. Give the curve layer a fill color, then Ctrl-click (command-click on Mac?) to select the curve, copy the photo layer, and paste it into a new file via 'New from Clipboard.' Creating the selection in that manner would ensure what you paste into the new file is only what you want ... i.e., no space around the subject matter.

Then you could do any required straightening in the new file.