You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

QR CODE GENERATOR

I would love to see a QR code generator, like Adobe InDesign, added to Publisher. I don't think this would be too hard to do. I know there are sites that do it but they are usually not vector like InDesign does. I use this on a semi-regular basis for marketing brochures and flyers and business cards.

Although I do use Publisher more often than InDesign anymore as I force myself over before my Adobe Subscription expires, I still have to go to InDesign to create and copy it over to Publisher for the time.

qr code generator.jpg

2 minutes ago, kagosage said:

I know there are sites that do it but they are usually not vector like InDesign does.

There probably are sites that only create raster images but there are also sites that offer SVG and other vector formats. Take a look at QRCode Monkey.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A thought experiment.

It occurred to me that by using a vector QR code image, Affinity Publisher, a home computer with internet access, and a credit card or a debit card, and the https://viking-virtualprinthouse.co.uk/ facility, one could have delivered to one's front door an A0 size poster with a huge QR code on it.

Sort of pop art that could be applied.

I am wondering at from what distance a smartphone with a camera could act upon the information in the QR code.

For example, could one be twenty metres away and the QR code be used to put an augmented reality sculpture in the middle of the twenty metre gap?

Could a website linked from the QR code contain the GPS coordinates of the QR code and use that in conjunction with the GPS coordinate of the smartphone? For what purpose?

Could such a large QR code be useful in, say, the concourse of a railway station so that people could link to information without needing to get close to th QR code?

Could it be mounted above the head height of the people so that lots of people could access it simultaneously?

I am wondering if there is some potentially useful purpose for the idea.

Could it help partially sited people in some way so that it links to a file of speech that plays?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I am not sure about some of these answers to be completely honest. I have basically used it for very simple things such as contact info, website, etc. etc. I am sure that if your idea will allow you to link to a website then the qr code should work just as well. In InDesign it gives you an option as to what type of QR code you want before you insert the information and it does its magic from there. 

Here is a better example on how it works in InDesign... 

A quick forum search for “qr code” (without the quotes) gives these (and other) existing threads regarding QR codes:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40501-qr-code-creator/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65345-create-qr-code/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/139312-add-qr-code-generator-to-affinity-apps/
A new thread was not necessary (and ‘dilutes’ the discussion); you can add your comments to an existing thread by posting to that thread.

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

A new thread was not necessary (and ‘dilutes’ the discussion); you can add your comments to an existing thread by posting to that thread.

I disagree.

The threads were not current.

If someone wants to post to an older thread and bring it back to the top, then fine.

If someone wants to start a new thread, then fine.

The problem with bumping an old thread is that a reader may feel as if he or she should read everything that has been posted previously in that thread.

A new thread is fresh and starts off straight away with what the poster wants to say.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The threads were not current.

The first one in my list was last updated July 8th and the other two were last updated in April. How “current” do you want threads to be?

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If someone wants to post to an older thread and bring it back to the top, then fine.

See the forum guidelines as per my attached image.

39 minutes ago, William Overington said:

The problem with bumping an old thread is that a reader may feel as if he or she should read everything that has been posted previously in that thread.

If someone can’t be bothered to read what anyone else has said on a specific subject then why should they expect us to read what they have to say about it.

New threads about things that have already been discussed ‘dilute’ the discussion and lead to the same conversations happening in multiple places which means that important issues could be missed.

We simply have two different ways of looking at this. I’m not saying that you are wrong or that I am right, just that opinions can differ.
All I can add, at the moment, is that if the whole discussion for a specific subject is in one thread then it’s easier to find everything related to that subject.

Screenshot 2021-07-24 092039.png

15 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The first one in my list was last updated July 8th and the other two were last updated in April. How “current” do you want threads to be?

Well, yes, I did only look at the date that the thread was started, I should have checked for the date of the most recent post.

William

The A0 poster could be portrait or landscape in format.

If landscape format, the poster could have an interpretation panel at one side, or interpretation panels on both sides.

I could make a greetings card with a 4 inch square QR code on it.

Or a keyring, or a tote bag, or a fridge magnet.

I wonder if a QR code could be used to store software in the form of portable interpretable object code for a sandboxed virtual machine, then the QR code could be scanned and the software loaded and obeyed.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I could make a greetings card with a 4 inch square QR code on it.

Four inches square would be unusually large for a printed QR code, especially on a relatively small item such as a greetings card.

I wonder if a QR code could be used to store software in the form of portable interpretable object code

The QR algorithm can encode plain text, so compiled code might be problematic but interpretable code should work fine.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Four inches square would be unusually large for a printed QR code

Oh, I dunno, I remember this edition of "Mad" magazine, when barcodes were introduced! 😀

Mad.png.9d91ea17903ca08939b39e0269f5ea72.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Four inches square would be unusually large for a printed QR code, especially on a relatively small item such as a greetings card.

Mmm, yes! The card would be seven inches by five inches.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

The QR algorithm can encode plain text, so compiled code might be problematic but interpretable code should work fine.

Indeed. It will need a code designed for the purpose, compact expression of a good variety of both basic operations and calls of complicated procedures, so as to be able to get as much software as possible into the QR code.

... so as to be able to get as much software as possible into the QR code.

Use the QR code to say "Run the code at www.whatever.com"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2021 at 5:33 PM, Alfred said:

There probably are sites that only create raster images but there are also sites that offer SVG and other vector formats. Take a look at QRCode Monkey.

I have used QRCode Monkey and it is nice and looks safe (but who knows), but I sure would feel safer using some software (like Affinity Publisher) to do the task for me. I still have Serif PagePlus on my Windows PC, so I could use that (it has a QRcode tool which is very nice, like most PagePlus things), but would love it if Publisher could do it. Maybe Affinity Designer or Photo? I'll take anything I can get! 😉

• 5 months later...

I have been using InDesign for many years and for the last 2 or 3 years have been regularly using QR codes in my publications.
I have switched to Affinity Publisher this week and was very disappointed to lose this feature of QR code generation within the app.
After searching the web I discovered Adobe can to my rescue with a free qr code generator.  It can output png, jpeg or svg files to cater for those billboard codes ;) 

https://express.adobe.com/tools/qr-code-generator

or 

adobe_express_qr_code_generator.png.810a78d1afa9684c874ada7ab6562496.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...