You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard refuses to dismiss in text tool

When editing text inside a text box, the dismiss button begins to dismiss the keyboard before it pops up again. The only way to actually dismiss the keyboard is to select a different tool.

I would prefer to be able to exit editing a text box by either tapping outside the box or by hitting the keyboard dismiss button, in which I would have the option to create another text box, tap inside the last one to edit it again, or select a different tool.

I understand if the current functionality is intentional but I found it confusing as a user.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:35 AM, SPaceBar said:

Hi @dantaylr I've been unable to recreate the issue you are experiencing. As you can see from my video the keyboard is dismissed and only returns when I click in the text box again. 

Can you tell me if you are using the latest release version of Designer iPad?

Indeed I am. Just updated to the latest iOS today as well. This morning I was able to get it to happen again in the document I was working on. I created a new document and tried it and it also refused to dismiss. I also closed Affinity itself, reopened it and got the same thing to happen. I then rotated my iPad on its side with the keyboard open and was able to dismiss it. When I rotated it back to landscape it also dismissed correctly. I’m not sure how to get it back into the state where it refuses to dismiss, it just seems to happen persistently sometimes. But it appears that rotating the device fixes it. 

40 minutes ago, dantaylr said:

Indeed I am. Just updated to the latest iOS today as well. This morning I was able to get it to happen again in the document I was working on. I created a new document and tried it and it also refused to dismiss. I also closed Affinity itself, reopened it and got the same thing to happen. I then rotated my iPad on its side with the keyboard open and was able to dismiss it. When I rotated it back to landscape it also dismissed correctly. I’m not sure how to get it back into the state where it refuses to dismiss, it just seems to happen persistently sometimes. But it appears that rotating the device fixes it. 

Okay I just encountered it again. This time rotating the screen did not fix the issue. I also noticed that the the context menu behaves in a similar way. When I tap on one of the next arrows, it eventually goes back to the first option in the context menu. In this screen recording you can see me wrestling with the context menu and then the keyboard. I then turn it on its side and try the same thing. Just to be clear this is version 1.9.9 on iPadOS 14.7.1

5 hours ago, dantaylr said:

Okay I just encountered it again. This time rotating the screen did not fix the issue. I also noticed that the the context menu behaves in a similar way. When I tap on one of the next arrows, it eventually goes back to the first option in the context menu. In this screen recording you can see me wrestling with the context menu and then the keyboard. I then turn it on its side and try the same thing. Just to be clear this is version 1.9.9 on iPadOS 14.7.1

Following up as I encountered a strange bug where Undo and Redo did not work at all. I deleted the app and did a clean reinstall which solved the undo issue, but have experienced the keyboard issue again. 

on a side note, I’m noticing the splash screen displays version 2.9.2 and the about section displays 2.9.9

Thanks for the update and the extra info. @dantaylr I'll have another look to see if I can reproduce it.

Just to clear up any confusion - you are using 1.9.2 as per the splash screen. The About section is displaying a number used internally.

Can I just check whether you are using iPad Pro 11in 3rd generation? If I am not able to reproduce this I will see if a colleague with your model can.

10 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Thanks for the update and the extra info. @dantaylr I'll have another look to see if I can reproduce it.

Just to clear up any confusion - you are using 1.9.2 as per the splash screen. The About section is displaying a number used internally.

Can I just check whether you are using iPad Pro 11in 3rd generation? If I am not able to reproduce this I will see if a colleague with your model can.

That is correct. iPad Pro 11in 3rd gen. This issue doesn’t always present itself immediately but it’s come up plenty while working between affinity and other apps. I don’t recall ever using the Apple Pencil specifically when this came up. 

13 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Thanks for the extra info. So would you say transitioning back and forth from another app to Designer is part of the issue? I will keep trying without the pencil this time.

Okay so today tried a lot of things to invoke this. I multitasked, locked the device, opened keyboards on other apps. I wasn’t able to get it to be as erratic as my previous video but I did get something close. If you dismiss the keyboard, and then physically move the device around a bit, but not enough to cause the orientation to change, the keyboard seems to pop back up 😯

Not sure if this is related, but I do notice that if I dismiss the keyboard, and then turn the device on its side, the keyboard pops up again in the other orientation. Is it potentially sensing something on the back end? When I reported this initially, I was using the iPad at a low angle with the folio case on, so it wasn’t directly flat on the table.

If you’re in Apple Notes and turn the device after dismissing the keyboard, the keyboard stays dismissed. Perhaps that should be reflected in this?

Attached a video of me reproducing the behavior. 

20 hours ago, dantaylr said:

Okay so today tried a lot of things to invoke this. I multitasked, locked the device, opened keyboards on other apps. I wasn’t able to get it to be as erratic as my previous video but I did get something close. If you dismiss the keyboard, and then physically move the device around a bit, but not enough to cause the orientation to change, the keyboard seems to pop back up 😯

Not sure if this is related, but I do notice that if I dismiss the keyboard, and then turn the device on its side, the keyboard pops up again in the other orientation. Is it potentially sensing something on the back end? When I reported this initially, I was using the iPad at a low angle with the folio case on, so it wasn’t directly flat on the table.

If you’re in Apple Notes and turn the device after dismissing the keyboard, the keyboard stays dismissed. Perhaps that should be reflected in this?

Attached a video of me reproducing the behavior. 

Following up. I’m working in affinity today at a cafe and the keyboard is acting erratic. Sure enough I’ve got the device at a slight angle with the folio case. The moment I lay it flat, the keyboard dismisses just fine 🤣

BEBAECA8-303E-4230-B8FF-9E12F81E740F.jpeg