You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do presets work in the Develop Person

In the develop persona there is a button 'Add preset' on the top right-hand side.

How exactly does the preset work?

Am I correct in assuming that you can save ones editing settings to be recalled later for use with a similar type image? If so, how does one recall it?

• Staff

Hi @HerrBill,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Develop Persona you can create preset using the dropdown on the top of the Basic, Lens, Details and Tones panels tabs on the right side/studio. Adjust the sliders as you want then go to the mentioned dropdown and select Add Preset. Give it a name and it's done. To access/apply it to other images go to the same dropdown and select the Preset you just created.

In Photo Persona, which is the Persona i believe you are referring to, the Add Preset button is located on the top left of each adjustment dialog. To save a preset set the sliders as you wish, click the Add Preset button and give the preset a name. To access it later, go to the Adjustments panel (menu View > Studio > Adjustments) expand the respective category of the preset you saved earlier and your preset (thumbnail) should be there.

13 minutes ago, HerrBill said:

Am I correct in assuming that you can save ones editing settings to be recalled later for use with a similar type image? If so, how does one recall it?

In addition to MEB's advice on saving the preset I must point out that you have to select the preset for it to take effect. Even if the name of your preset is showing when you open a new raw file you still have to click on the name and select it again in order for it to take over from the default settings. This is a flaw in my opinion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I should point out that it is only the saved preset's name that is present in the field, the values are for the default.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...

I just finished processing 7 images from camera raw in the develop persona. As all images were shot using the same exposure/lighting they needed the same basic adjustments. I created/added a preset to adjust exposure, adjust saturation and vibrance. The Image file was opened in the develop persona, applied the basic preset, developed which opened the image in the photo persona, then saved to a new folder. This process had to be applied to 7 files one at a time.

is there a way to apply a basic preset to multiple images in one batch process in the Develop persona? I checked the New Batch Process tool. It only seems to work in the photo persona after developing the raw image.

Edited by hobbytobiz

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

6 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

I checked the New Batch Process tool. It only seems to work in the photo persona after developing the raw image.

With V2 you can now batch process RAW files

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, hobbytobiz said:

Are you saying can’t do in V1?

Yes, you can't batch process RAW files and apply Develop persona settings to them in V1

In V1 you can batch process RAW files using the default Develop persona settings but you would need to attach a macro to the batch process to "adjust exposure, adjust saturation and vibrance" but these adjustments will be the ones found in the Photo persona

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, hobbytobiz said:

Are you saying can’t do in V1?

You must have misread my OP. In V-1 when using the "File/New Batch Job" tool in the Develope Persona you can't apply Basic Presets. The same holds true for V-2. Files have to be Opened in the Develop Persona in order to use Basic/Presets. Very Very Disappointing. Major Disappointment Serif Executives!!!

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012, AP V 1.10.5

• 5 months later...
On 7/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, MEB said:

It should return to the default yes, not keep the previous used preset. I will log this to be looked at. Thanks Old Bruce.

I am using the latest version of Photo 2. When I load a new RAW file, the correct lens preset (which I have named) is shown in the preset window (and the lens distortion correction applied), but the Chromatic Aberration Reduction and Lens Vignetting settings I have saved to this preset are not been applied. I then select default, which shows the lens distortion being re-applied, before selecting my lens preset which then re-applies the lens distortion correction and applies the Chromatic Aberration Reduction and Lens Vignetting settings I have saved to it.
Is it as bug that the Chromatic Aberration Reduction and Lens Vignetting saved settings of my preset are not applied as the RAW image is uploaded? Or, is there an automatic lens detection which applies the distortion correction regardless of which preset is shown in the preset window as previously selected for a prior RAW image being uploaded for processing?

Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 - Win 10 Home 64 bit 22H2, OS Build 19045.2251 - Asus ROG G20CB - i5-6400 2.7ghz - 8gb RAM - NVIDIA GX950- BenQ BL2783

• Staff
20 hours ago, justinpbrown71 said:

Is it as bug that the Chromatic Aberration Reduction and Lens Vignetting saved settings of my preset are not applied as the RAW image is uploaded?

I can confirm that this is a bug with the current version of Affinity Photo, which is logged with our development team to be resolved.

I'll be sure to 'bump' these with the team, to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Develop Persona - Last used preset shown in list but not applied" (REF: AFP-522) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

The issue "Develop Persona - Last used preset shown but not applied, requires returning to default before you are then able to apply this preset" (REF: AFP-6218) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.