You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Developing RAW introduces noise?

here are three screenshots: the first one was taken in the develop persona just after loading a cr2 (canon raw) file, the second one in the develop persona again after setting the noise reduction controls, and the third one once "landed" to the photo persona after clicking "develop".

i repeated the same process, but unchecked the "extreme" checkboxes. i could not eliminate all of the noise, but after clicking on "develop" i was brought to the photo persona and the noise in the image was exactly the noise i could see in the develop persona before developing.

post-22319-0-43516200-1451257677_thumb.jpg

post-22319-0-10938200-1451257679_thumb.jpg

post-22319-0-56944500-1451257680_thumb.jpg

take care,

stefano

I've tried it multiple ways now with no luck. Only editing the noise (with the boxes checked and the boxes unchecked) as well as editing noise and other options like contrast. Any other free RAW apps you'd suggest? I need to be able to reduce the noise in some of the photos. Thanks for all of the help!

I'm using:

AP Beta 1.4.1

OS X 10.11.2

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

check out my site at seanwholland.com

can't you cope with noise in the software that (almost certainly) came with your camera? what camera do you have?

i discovered AP a few weeks ago: until then i used canon's dpp (the raw file processor that i got with my canon 70d) and i'm not sure yet i will abandon it in favour of AP to process raw files. Canon's DPP is not a photo editor, so AP will be the editing/retouching software of choice from now on, but there are situations where canon's noise reduction seems to work better than ap's one. Not surprisingly, since canon knows how their sensors work and possibly whether they have pattern in generating noise.

i have been using the Gimp for years as photo editor, and it can open raw files with the help of some plugin (which comes, i think, preinstalled with the osx build), but it lacks of a number of features (non-descrtuctive editing, for example) that are absolutely useful if you want to implement professional editing workflows.

take care,

stefano

Fwiw, I'm still having this problem following the recent update.

I just tried importing a .tiff, an old scan; applied the noise filter - looks great in preview, but then when I click the 'Apply' button, the progress bar moves across the page, then bang! - all the noise comes back.

Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...

Hello i am getting the same Issues, i try to apply noise reduction to a raw image, but when i click "develope", the image gets all its noise back… help!

I am using a Panasonic Lumix G6 (Raw files are .RW2) and a Macbook Pro early 2011 2,3 GHz core i5 with 16GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 mb.

I just came on to the forum looking for the a solution to the same issue! I'm new to Affinity and photo editing in general, so I was thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I've been working with two cameras: Canon EOS 6D, & Canon EOS 30D