You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Developing RAW introduces noise?

I'm fairly new to Affinity Photo, so maybe there's something I'm not getting about the RAW workflow, but what actually happens when you click that 'Develop' button?

Because I'm finding that often the actual image you get after you 'develop' is not the same as what you've just been working on, which makes no kind of sense to me.

For example, I was editing a bunch of pictures that were shot in low light, hence a little noisy, and although I managed to clean them up considerably when working on them as RAW images, as soon as I click Develop, they're full of noise again!

Actually, it looks more like some artful attempt at introducing grain, but that is not the effect I'm after.

I can post examples if you like, but maybe it's just something I  haven't understood about the workflow, in which case, please enlighten me!

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger  :)

In other apps noise reduction is applied automatically but that does not apply to Affinity Photo, I'd recommend having a look at this video tutorial we have on Raw Noise Reduction

It will be beneficial working at 100% zoom level when in the Develop Persona, this will ensure you are seeing the changes being applied before clicking 'Develop'  

J

I'm also having this problem. All the adjustments I make in the Develop persona make the image look good, but when I hit "Develop", I get the progress bar like it's doing something, and then I'm back at the same un-processed image I started with. Took it into PS and it processes fine. The changes I make in the Develop persona just don't seem to "stick" once the image is processed. Very frustrating.

I guess those of us who are having this problem should report our system specs, to help the guys at Serif trace the problem - mine is: 3.06GHz Core i3 iMac, 12GB RAM, OS10.95

And I can report that I get the same sort of problems on a late 2008 MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

This is so frustrating - Photo is a great programme and I'd sooner use it over Photoshop or even Gimp, but with this problem it's not really possible to work with RAW.

Furthermore, I just tried de-noising in the Photo persona, and what you get once you hit the 'Apply' button is not the same as what you were looking at just before i.e there is some noise reduction, but it doesn't look as good as it did whilst you were adjusting the settings - I can provide 'before' and 'after' pics, if you like...

Something is clearly not right here.

Perhaps the forum is not the right platform for this - is there a more official channel for bug reports?

I'm having the same problem, I can see the noise because the low light situation, then after processing initially seeing a reduction in noise, then having  see it return, finally I had to use another software to remove it, any answers from the experts, is  something that we are not doing correctly

Which RAW/cameras are you using?

Can someone  post a link to one of the RAW's giving you trouble with noise reduction please?

Thanks.

I have had this exact problem as well multiple times. Nikon D750 / 2012 iMac 2.7GHz i5/16GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 6770M. I like Affinity's power as an editor (and especially after the Beta fixed some of the performance issues) but for  RAW adjustments I'm reduced to Nikon's offerings.

Very strange I don’t see this on my ageing laptop, the latest beta 1.3.5.7 processes RAW NEF files in the Develop persona and saves all noise & other adjustments without problem. And files export out of Photo with adjustments as expected.

Gradients on the other hand are agony, machine grinds to a halt, which doesn’t happen in PS.

MacBookPro5,3: Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.8 GHz: 8GB: OSX 10.10.5

Had a new experience in Noise reduction just now. Was editing some photo's, didn't do the noise reduction in RAW only some minor tweaks. Then developed and changed the dimensions of the image to 1000x666. After this the noise was massive.. Anyone can tell how this can happen or a bug in Affinty Photo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this problem does not occur in my experience. i have a 2014 canon 70d and i just tried with a shot taken at iso 6400, so it is a rather noisy one. here is what i exactly did:

1) started ap

2) dragged the raw file onto the workspace

3) applied the noise correction: both chrominance and luminance with "extreme" checked, and raised a bit the "details" value

4) clicked on develop

after some seconds, i was in the photo persona, and the image retained the noise reduction.

i have a 2010 imac, intel i5, 4 core, 16 GB ram, os x 10.9.5, ap 1.4.1 beta

did you try trashing the preference files? i have three com.serif.* files in my home Library/Preferences folder, could something in there be corrupt?

take care,

stefano

@barninga, 

I will try that, maybe they fixed it with the latest updates.. hope so. 

Thanks for your answer btw

Edit: Just tried it out, without the extreme boxes checked the noise reduction wasn't applied. With the boxed checked the noise reduction seem to have worked. (Used a photo with a ISO of 400).