You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher / Table: Row order changed unintentionally

Hello all,

I created a curriculum vitae with Publisher (1.9.2.1035 / Win 10) a few days ago and used tables for it. Today I have optimized the look a little more.

When I thought I was done, I was horrified to discover that the order of the table rows had changed arbitrarily.

How could this have happened to me? I can't reproduce it. Is an unintentional drag and drop possible?

Thanks and regards,
Felix

33 minutes ago, Failix said:

Is an unintentional drag and drop possible?

Yes, if you did not intend to do it.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, Failix said:

The cells can not be touched and moved ...

Table Rows and Columns can be dragged to any position, you can also drag a single cell or group of cells to a new position in the table

I'll see if I can find it in the Help or a Video

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

As far as I can see there is no way of dragging columns, rows or cells around the spreadsheet. There's nothing in the help to suggest this as a method, and I've given up trying to achieve it myself. 

What I think has happened is that @Failix has clicked in a row header and accidentally chosen one of the Sort options:

From this:

1164861764_Screenshot2021-07-22at14_09_25.thumb.png.569112cad0f644cce139a9da712267bd.png

To this:

1291165875_Screenshot2021-07-22at14_09_35.thumb.png.e002ac9cf4ba287d035f1c773f578382.png

It's the only way I can see of moving whole columns around. Are your columns now in alphabetical (or reverse alphabetical) order?

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Just now, h_d said:

As far as I can see there is no way of dragging columns, rows or cells around the spreadsheet.

Looks like it's not in the Help and I can't find a video for it online

So, looks like I will have to make one myself, prepare to be enlightened to the power of Affinity

Give me 15 minutes, I hate doing videos

14 minutes ago, h_d said:

What I think has happened is that @Failix has clicked in a row header and accidentally chosen one of the Sort options

Yes, it was, it is! And it's in the top right of the second of two columns in my table.

Now I know that I have to be careful when I work with tables - I guess I clicked around a little too carelessly.

Thank you both for your support!

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Looks like it's not in the Help and I can't find a video for it online

So, looks like I will have to make one myself, prepare to be enlightened to the power of Affinity

Give me 15 minutes, I hate doing videos

Video attached

Hey guys thanks for pointing this out, now I have to go and check make sure I haven't messed up my tables. [semi-serious I have work to do face emotion]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Video attached

Very strange @carl123. Your cursor is changing from an I-beam to a white pointer to a black arrowhead. The latter two don't appear under any circumstances or with any combination of modifier keys on my MacBook Pro (trackpad only). And they're not shown as options under View - Customise Tools.  So it may be down to input devices or a Windows vs macOS thing. Maybe the middle button on a 3-button mouse? 

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

6 minutes ago, Failix said:

The lines cannot be moved when they are selected ...

Look at the position of the cursor just before each move...

Then press left mouse button and drag to new position (whilst still holding the button down)

If you have a slow computer you may need to wait a couple of seconds after pressing the left mouse button before the move, that's all I can think of

2 minutes ago, h_d said:

The latter two don't appear under any circumstances or with any combination of modifier keys on my MacBook Pro

There are no modifier keys involved

18 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Then press left mouse button

I think it's down to mouse v trackpad and possibly macOS v Windows too. I can sort of make it work if I reconfigure my trackpad settings, but nowhere near as smoothly as in your video, and without the changes in cursor shape. But I can't see it ever happening accidentally on my machine.

1 minute ago, h_d said:

I think it's down to mouse v trackpad and possibly macOS

I use pen/tablet on Windows

7 hours ago, h_d said:

Very strange @carl123. Your cursor is changing from an I-beam to a white pointer to a black arrowhead. The latter two don't appear under any circumstances or with any combination of modifier keys on my MacBook Pro (trackpad only).

Same for me running macOS Catalina on my iMac. I do get a regular black Move Tool style arrow if I move the pointer over a cell edge, but clicking & dragging that just selects more cells, just like the status bar says it should.

So my guess is this is some Windows only thing of some kind.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7