You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo issues when using Google Drive

I'm working in Affinity Photo for iPad right now. I have my files stored in Google Drive. I opened a mockup and proceeded to place 12 files, one at a time. I got to the 10th one and then it froze.  Google Drive just disappeared. I could see it but when I clicked on it, it was empty. My other cloud drives (e.g. iCloud) are there and I can see the files inside. 

I'm not sure if this is a Google Drive issue or Affinity issue. I shut the iPad down and restarted and now all is back to normal but I'm nervous about investing more time in learning Affinity.

I've told myself to give it a month of working with Affinity to see if it will be the suite for me, but I'm just running into issues that have me 2nd guessing. I pull myself out of one issue or find a work around for some missing feature but then turn around and there's something else. 

Now if Affinity just doesn't work well with Google Drive, can someone let me know? Would it be better to use iCloud? I really want to access the files I have in the cloud instead of transferring them to the iPad files folder and them using them. So what is the best workflow for using the Affinity apps with the iPad? Thanks

So I tried it a 2nd time with Google Drive and it froze again. Then I tried with iCloud and it did not freeze.  Is this a bug? If iCloud works, shouldn't Google Drive work? It would be a huge issue if I couldn't use Google which has all of my design files, etc.

• Staff

Hey chbrier,

Have you got an exact recipe of what you're doing?

Google Drive, in my experience is a bit hit and miss with reliability on iOS and when I use it on PC - we just use their API so there's often nothing for us to 'fix' when things start going wrong.

I've seen issues such as files greyed out or the odd crash with Google Drive but looking through the system I cannot find a report of it just freezing. If you can also record a quick clip of what happens and what you're doing that might be helpful. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.