You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.10.0.6 - RC1)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Download

Auto-update: Not available

Hello,

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is no longer considered to be an incremental update to the 1.9.3 version recently released to all customers. As such, we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Many thanks!

Matt

Changes This Time

- Fix for a potential deadlock most often noticed while painting with a pixel brush
- Fix for documents being offered to the clipboard in RGB8 format even when the document is CMYK, for example
- Help improvements

Changes Since 1.9.3

- Potentially huge performance improvements for large documents. We've spent a long time looking at this and have improved performance many-fold for large documents and improved scalability. If you have particular documents that still appear 'too slow' then feel free to share them with me and I'll do my best to look into them :)
- Memory handling improvements

- Support for Emojis in text tools! 😁👌🏻
- Further performance improvements to general operations
- Misc text performance improvements
- SVG import and export tweaks
- Fixed PDF Export group opacity potentially being applied twice
- Fixed potential crash when quitting with layers still on the clipboard
- Fix for Trotec Job Control incompatibility
- Improvements to noise rendering when used on colours
- Fix for inserting an embedded document, which was incorrectly favouring an in-memory version of the document if you were trying to add it again
- Fix for SVG export failing to correctly deal with stretched text when the user selects 'flatten transforms'
- Fix for SVG import not functioning correctly with whitespace between the keyword "translate" and the following opening bracket
- Fix for a potential deadlock when opening files with many (potentially large) images
- Many text tweaks - particularly relating to how pinned objects are handled when opened from a Publisher document
- Potential view drawing speed improvement
- Localisation improvements

Great work Matt - super quick - clipboard working perfect ------- ACE!👍👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Still have the Font Menu corruption problem with this RC, same as with the other 2 apps.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff
14 hours ago, nwhit said:

Still have the Font Menu corruption problem with this RC, same as with the other 2 apps.

Hi nwhit,

We do have this logged with development (the Collections in Font Book are causing the entries to get doubled/tripled). I have passed your comments on and got it bumped with them.

I've used heavy amount of Linked document layers in several projects, all linked document shows as mosaic grids in 1.10.x, need to select one by one to correct the rendering result, I think it's a common issue in 1.10.*

Screen capture:
https://ax.minicg.com/temp/ad-110.jpg

It's ok for showing mosaic effect to speed up the rendering in some cases, but I also use linked document as theme skin replacement for some projects...(you can imagine almost 70% layers become mosaic in that document, it will make me stay on 1.9.3 forever 😭  ), so I think maybe there will be an option to allow user to enable/disable this great speed up improvement?

3 hours ago, WaveF said:

need to select one by one to correct the rendering result,

What is the fix once you select one of them? And what do you mean by "select" in this context?

Is the issue merely in on-screen rendering, or does it carry over into an exported file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What is the fix once you select one of them? And what do you mean by "select" in this context?

Is the issue merely in on-screen rendering, or does it carry over into an exported file?

- Linked document show as mosaic, when I select one of them, and then zoom in or zoom out the view, the selected layer return to normal.
- It's not affected the export file, so it's only an on-screen rendering issue.

Screen recording:
http://ax.minicg.com/temp/ad-redering-issue.mp4

• Staff
27 minutes ago, WaveF said:

- Linked document show as mosaic, when I select one of them, and then zoom in or zoom out the view, the selected layer return to normal.
- It's not affected the export file, so it's only an on-screen rendering issue.

Screen recording:
http://ax.minicg.com/temp/ad-redering-issue.mp4

Would it be possible for you to share your file please?

• Staff

Thanks for the file - I can recreate this on Mac but not Windows. The behaviour you're seeing is actually intentional. If a linked document is modified externally to the parent file, then when that parent file is opened, the linked document is considered 'Modified' at which point its view is pixelated. 

If you go into the Resource Manager and click 'Update' (answering No to all the prompts to link the files) it will update the link so when re-saved will open correctly (unless you then again modify that afdesign file outside of the containing file)

What is interesting with your file, is that on Windows the linked afdesign file is considered OK and therefore its preview is drawn correctly. I've passed this on to development to look at, however I do feel some improvements could be made, such as warning the user on open (in a toast in the top-right) that users will need to update some resources.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.