You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numerous crashes since forced migration to Google Drive for Desktop on OSX Mojave 10.14.6

I've had numerous crashes since forced migration to Google Drive for Desktop on or around July 12, 2021 which deprecated both Google FileStream and Google Backup and Sync.  Files are accessible via finder so that I do not have to utilize Google Drive via a browser.

Any time Affinity Designer has to access files that reside on Google Drive for Desktop, there has been an insane amount of crashes.  Could be while opening from the open dialog, saving from the saving dialog, exporting from the export dialog, etc.  It doesnt always happen but the behavior started with the Google Drive for Desktop update.  

Doesn't matter if it's a new document or an old one.

The same files, when previously accessed via the dialogs on files/folders that were FileStream or Backup and Sync have had no issues for as long as I can remember.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled Affinity Designer to no avail

Crash log is attached

Problem Report For Affinity Designer.rtf

• Staff

Hi @AdamB,

From checking the logs, the path for the app doesn't look like what we would normally see:
/Volumes/VOLUME/*/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Designer

Where is Designer stored on your Mac, eg external hard drive, cloud drive even?  Also both, crashes appear to related to Fonts, are you using any other font manager apart from FontBook?

So far, this doesn't appear to be related to the Google Drive side of things but we have always recommended not working directly from Cloud services or network locations, as it has been known to cause problems and lead to corrupt files.

Thank you for your insight, @stokerg.

Looks like Designer was running off of a system backup somehow.  I've uninstalled that and reinstalled to the normal location.

Also, Font Book has been giving me a lot of problems since the Google Drive update as well.  I'm sure this was because I was using a symbolic link to my Fonts folder which resided on Google Drive so that I can synchronize the fonts I use with my other computers.  I've since unlinked and restored Font Book to it's original form.  

I'll give this setup a go and see if the issue persists.   

• 3 months later...