You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean add fills hole

If I have two 2d projected torus shapes overlayed with the same centre point and perform a boolean add the centre is filled in. I would have expected this to have remained hollow. These do not have a stroke width and are curves with hollows.

I know that this can we worked around by adding, dividing and then subtracting.

Add bug.afdesign

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @matt.baker
Go to menu Layer > Fill Mode > Alternate to fix it after the add operation.

Thanks. Should this not be more intuitive though, so that Affinity does the work automatically?

I see that it works when an another inner torus is included

image.png.c489b11b580001175bb4d61e40e6b0b5.png

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Alternate to fix it after the add operation.

Is it intended for the OP that the blue circle vanishes afterwards?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Is it intended for the OP that the blue circle vanishes afterwards?

That is what I'm expecting in this case, yes. I wouldn't normally draw something like this, but it's from another design that I am trying to optimise by converting to expanded stokes. On this element they had 3 circles 2 with strokes all overlayed which could have been simplified to a single torus (black and white symbol). A bit of a mess.

CrPzyCp.jpg

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

why should the blue donut be retained?

Why should he make the blue donut anyway? Making the green one bigger would have the same effect?

EDIT: If this is expected, then OK. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

If you change the size of the green one to match the blue outer line, the inner circle of the green one will also increase which may not be desirable. I don't know the OP intention but seems a perfectly legit operation. The circles may be coming for a more complex file and the amount he wants to add to the green circle may be being dictated by other object/reference in the design...

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you change the size of the green one to match the blue outer line, the inner circle of the green one will also increase which may not be desirable.

When you select the outer nodes with the Node tool and then change width and height the inner circle does not move.

Fun fact: By doing so the donut gets an additional node.

extra-node.jpg

------

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.