You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.10.0.1115

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Updated help and translations
  • Improved performance of importing PDFs
  • Improved OpenAsset support
  • Fixed issues with documents that have large numbers of embedded documents, failing to load because we exceed the maximum number of open file handles (leading to Future Version Error)
  • Fixed copying clipboard data as PDF forcing a conversion to RGBA8
  • Fixed Convert to Curves on text giving unwanted transforms on child nodes
  • Improved performance of rendering tiny clips

Previous release notes

I am currently a trial user on day 2 of my 10 day free trial. As of right now, Affinity Designer continually crashes making the software unusable. I have sent a few messages on Facebook messenger directly to Affinity in which I have gotten support responses with various suggestions. So far, I have tried every suggestion given, but I have experienced no better luck. I have currently been suggested to try this beta version; however, since I am not a paying customer, I appear to be out of luck. I really do enjoy Affinity Designer; however, my decision to purchase the software will ultimately be based on whether or not I can get the software to work without crashing so often. Do you have any further suggestions or recommendations for me at this time? I have 8 days left of my 10 day trial to figure this out or throw in the towel. I really appreciate the help and look forward to a solution.

41 minutes ago, ReadySketchGo said:

I am currently a trial user on day 2 of my 10 day free trial. As of right now, Affinity Designer continually crashes making the software unusable. I have sent a few messages on Facebook messenger directly to Affinity in which I have gotten support responses with various suggestions. So far, I have tried every suggestion given, but I have experienced no better luck. I have currently been suggested to try this beta version; however, since I am not a paying customer, I appear to be out of luck. I really do enjoy Affinity Designer; however, my decision to purchase the software will ultimately be based on whether or not I can get the software to work without crashing so often. Do you have any further suggestions or recommendations for me at this time? I have 8 days left of my 10 day trial to figure this out or throw in the towel. I really appreciate the help and look forward to a solution.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. You're right that you can't use the Beta, as it is for paid customers.

You might open Designer's Preferences, and in the Performance section disable Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) if it's enabled. Then see if things improve for you. If they do, you may have downlevel video drivers. But in any case, for further assistance, please post in the Questions forum, as this topic/forum is for the Beta.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. You're right that you can't use the Beta, as it is for paid customers.

You might open Designer's Preferences, and in the Performance section disable Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) if it's enabled. Then see if things improve for you. If they do, you may have downlevel video drivers. But in any case, for further assistance, please post in the Questions forum, as this topic/forum is for the Beta.

I have already tried the OpenCL suggestion. I have also tried different video driver versions. What's also weird is there is no crash report generated when this happens either. I've scoured these forums and tried every suggestion. Anyways, I came to this beta forum, because Affinity themselves suggested I come here and download the beta. I let them know up front that I was trying the software, so not sure why they sent me here. I've already been to the other forums. The same recycled suggestions are given there as well.

Edited by Fr0z3nRebel

11 hours ago, Fr0z3nRebel said:

Do you have any crash reports in 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

?

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have any crash reports in 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

?

Strangely, there's not a single crash report. Technically Affinity doesn't "crash", it just hangs with my cursor circling like it is loading something. I let it sit for 30 mins and it is still hanging. I have to kill the process to exit the software.

1 hour ago, Fr0z3nRebel said:

Strangely, there's not a single crash report. Technically Affinity doesn't "crash", it just hangs with my cursor circling like it is loading something. I let it sit for 30 mins and it is still hanging. I have to kill the process to exit the software.

Ah OK, that's a hang then. Can you open Task Manager, find Affinity Designer, and right click it, and choose "Create dump file". It will make a large file, probably around 5GB. But if you could upload it somewhere (e.g. Dropbox) then I can take a look at what is causing the hang for you.

I wanted to ask if you will make demo videos again of upcoming big features for any of the programs?
Or if there is a way to know what Serif is working on from a more big picture perspective?
I'd really like some more communication about Serif's vision. Thank you very much!