You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App crashes when drawing with vector brush and pressure enabled

I report same problem with my Windows Desktop version here. When I paint with vector brush and set the controller on pressure (Pen Tablet HUION HS64 driver version 14.8.137.1273) after few strokes the program locks completely causing loss of unsaved progress when closed. Affinity Designer version 1.9.2.1035, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 19043.1110.

I'm very interested in using vector brushes, but practically I can't use it.

Please Help.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen7 3700X, 32Gb RAM, NVidia RTX3060 GA104 12Gb VRAM, 1 512Gb SSD, 2 960Gb SSD, 1 2Tb HDD, Huion HS64 Graphics Tablet.

I've posted on this issue in the past but originally thought the bug only effected Mac:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/115942-app-freezes-when-using-brush-tool-with-pressure/&tab=comments#comment-629305

On 6/10/2021 at 3:49 PM, Sean P said:

if you disable/reset the custom pressure you should find it will stop crashing. 

Sean P - does the above solution also work for Mac & Windows?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
51 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I've posted on this issue in the past but originally thought the bug only effected Mac:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/115942-app-freezes-when-using-brush-tool-with-pressure/&tab=comments#comment-629305

Sean P - does the above solution also work for Mac & Windows?

Unfortunately not - this issue is very specific to the iPad as it relates to the iPad Pencil's pressure curve option in iPad Preferences. The one Clockmaster77 is a different issue (it's reliant on using Rope Mode stabiliser and Pressure Controller enabled) - which is the one you've linked to. I'll get that one bumped again with development.

14 hours ago, Clockmaster77 said:

I report same problem with my Windows Desktop version here. When I paint with vector brush and set the controller on pressure (Pen Tablet HUION HS64 driver version 14.8.137.1273) after few strokes the program locks completely causing loss of unsaved progress when closed. Affinity Designer version 1.9.2.1035, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Build 19043.1110.

I'm very interested in using vector brushes, but practically I can't use it.

Please Help.

Try disabling Rope Mode stabiliser and see if that prevents the crashing for you.

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Unfortunately not - this issue is very specific to the iPad as it relates to the iPad Pencil's pressure curve option in iPad Preferences. The one Clockmaster77 is a different issue (it's reliant on using Rope Mode stabiliser and Pressure Controller enabled) - which is the one you've linked to. I'll get that one bumped again with development.

Try disabling Rope Mode stabiliser and see if that prevents the crashing for you.

Unfortunately, when I experimented the crashes, stabilisers were not active. I will inform You about eventual further anomalies. Thanks for the attention.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen7 3700X, 32Gb RAM, NVidia RTX3060 GA104 12Gb VRAM, 1 512Gb SSD, 2 960Gb SSD, 1 2Tb HDD, Huion HS64 Graphics Tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this same issue. I also experienced a crash while using the pen tool with a mouse earlier editing nodes. I am not sure if the two are related.

I have tried disabling OpenCL, Windows Ink Workspace, and custom pressure. I have also tried using the software in tablet and non-tablet mode. I also made sure not to have any of the listed interfering third party software installed. Lastly, I tried different graphics driver versions. For reference, I am using a Lenovo Flex 5 2-in-1 laptop with the Active 2 pen with 16gb RAM and an AMD Ryzen 4700U.

I am going to play around with rope mode now to see if it makes any difference. (Edit: After reviewing my settings, I have not had stabilizers active yet, so my crashing is not related to stabilizers).

Edited by Fr0z3nRebel
Tried more suggestions