You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Small Look-Up Table(s)

AdamStanislav

And here I was trying yet something different, interpolating the image against a grayscale LUT, trying to find a combination that would bring out human skin and hair regardless of the color of the skin or hair (I mean natural color), while subduing other colors. Much to my surprise, using the raspberry color  got me right into the middle of the range of skin colors. So, here it is,

Wine-TFSkin.thumb.png.e3a25babbb8c680cd8b78b6b5f32a7b8.png

TF-Skin.cube

And just to prove my earlier point that a LUT is not a matrix, I have extracted a matrix from the above LUT. A matrix can be converted into a LUT, but going the opposite way is only possible if the LUT was originally created from a matrix. Nevertheless, I extracted that portion of the LUT that would be representing the matrix if it was created from one. And the result is horrible because I had to throw out one half of the LUT to reduce it to a matrix:

Wine-TFMatrix.thumb.png.a42e28e2dcb165ee8bdd319048f0e373.png

One of the popular filters in film and video making is Bleach Bypass, so called because it was achieved by skipping the bleach step in film developing (in the lab, that is). Nowadays, film is rarely used, but here is my impression of that effect, and the LUT I made for it:

Wine-BlBy.thumb.png.b37b8723f8507eacd9c7c052f70eb670.png

Bleach Bypass.cube

We had a big storm two nights ago, lost power for 7 hours. Another one is coming in an hour or so, so I better type this fast.

I decided to try something new and make a LUT filter with the color that is half-way between orange and orange peel. Those are quintary colors, so I wanted to squeeze a sixtary color from them. I am not aware of any official name for it, so I just called it Orange Juice. I made five LUTs using that color. Here is the basic OJ (the one with TF at the end of its name in the enclosed .zip):

Wine-OJ-TF.thumb.png.52517131a3ec37fa84340ba8828b506d.png

Here is the one with HF in its name:

Wine-OJ-HF.thumb.png.0a95916e48b0a606f43ce4c565f86566.png

Here is the Xtreme version of same (HX):

Wine-OJ-HX.thumb.png.544f3a1b39d5e875eb50412dffd9c619.png

And here are ZF and ZX:

Wine-OJ-ZF.thumb.png.5d76a1fc6b7ca432a911a704ee1bde0e.png

Wine-OJ-ZX.thumb.png.d36b2b69770e5c8db3e29c1558d7af4f.png

OrangeJuice.zip

Well, looks like the storm/tornado is mostly South of here and is moving South-East, so my town seems lucky.

Anyway, if we go exactly 180 degrees around the color circle from the above Orange Juice, we get captured half-way between Azure and Cobalt. And since I have no idea what the official name of that sextary color is, or whether there even is such an official name, I could not escape from naming it Azcoban.

Here are the five LUTs using it, in the same order of TF, HF, HX, ZF, ZX as with Orange Juice. They are the exact complements of Orange Juice:

Wine-AzCo-TF.thumb.png.5322e7747aff3fd7c42aa548f5566e54.png

Wine-AzCo-HF.thumb.png.89ba1e097dcf4e55138cc86ef40a5dcc.png

Wine-AzCo-HX.thumb.png.0434c72ce93d1f0dbbfa30d2fd43a885.png

Wine-AzCo-ZF.thumb.png.b5ead1aebb186bb3d702422e52af5a70.png

Wine-AzCo-ZX.thumb.png.f547829fc9274702ebf78df9d1022e1d.png

Azcoban.zip

Sometimes, just sometimes, I like to produce a LUT so out of whackOut-of-Whack.cube that even I end up looking like this when I see the result:shocked.thumb.png.4c2e475b35faec8312594e2ca8e193d2.png

The reason I am shocked is that I can never predict what it does to an image. Some images look like posters, others completely wild, and, quite surprisingly, some completely distort some of the parts of the image, while keeping other parts almost identical to the original.

Wine-Wack.thumb.png.85a75959a63e7f89207bcc3c1c3dc8f5.png

1 hour ago, AdamStanislav said:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I like to produce a LUT so out of whackOut-of-Whack.cube that even I end up looking like this when I see the result:

The reason I am shocked is that I can never predict what it does to an image. Some images look like posters, others completely wild, and, quite surprisingly, some completely distort some of the parts of the image, while keeping other parts almost identical to the original.

Very cool effect! Thanks.

Another neat effect (besides just the lut) involved using blend modes (on this one, I used "divide") and a color fill layer between the LUT and the image then varying the color and opacity until you get what you're looking for.

A self-portrait from last year.

I was a "skip tracer" by trade . . . that a special kind of hunter. I hunted human beings who ran away from their debts and took the property. When I find them, they usually aren't happy. I got the money and/or property.I probably looked a lot like this to them when they met me. I loved my job!

___000002.jpg

8 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Well, since we have been talking about Pantone pastels in other threads today, I thought I’d try to make a Pastel.cube LUT:

Wine-Pastel.thumb.png.0fd4942237968883ea943f8586f6b12a.png

Very delicate colors!  Very nice!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I was just looking through a .zip collection of some LUTs I made a while ago, and found this one from 2018. It is a very simple LUT, where the idea was to make a regular photo look like it was taken in the evening. As I said, it is very simple, it just changes the red, green, and yellow vertices into r=0.5, g=0.5, b=0.5, which is an oversimplified method of making those three vertices gray. Anyway, here is the LUT, GoodEvening.cube, and here is the sample photo,

Wine-Eve.thumb.png.e0cb8b9cc23857bb2f244fa4268c8b32.png

1 hour ago, AdamStanislav said:

I was just looking through a .zip collection of some LUTs I made a while ago, and found this one from 2018. It is a very simple LUT, where the idea was to make a regular photo look like it was taken in the evening. As I said, it is very simple, it just changes the red, green, and yellow vertices into r=0.5, g=0.5, b=0.5, which is an oversimplified method of making those three vertices gray. Anyway, here is the LUT, GoodEvening.cube, and here is the sample photo,

Wine-Eve.thumb.png.e0cb8b9cc23857bb2f244fa4268c8b32.png

@AdamStanislav  You outdid yourself with this one.  Wonderful colors.  Wonderful mood.  Wonderful.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I have been playing with it this morning, and came up with 48 new filters (yes, I think of them as the various color filters you place on your camera lens to change the overall mood of an image, except done in software). They are kind of soft, so I just packed them in soft.zip. Here are just three examples:

Soft Cerulean:

Wine-SoftCerulean.thumb.png.9f2ace051664d449c18cd5beeba2925b.png

Soft Fuchsia:

Wine-SoftFuchsia.thumb.png.0cfc6e158dced6a112fc3739bb1b881c.png

Soft Mint:

Wine-SoftMint.thumb.png.e717c6611d99d093a0c00841383f4fa0.png

And here is a losat_amber-TF.cube. As its name implies, it lowers the saturation of the image (down to about 29% of the original saturation of each pixel), and then if applies an amber color filter. Amber is the color close to the color of human skin (in every race, as far as I can tell), so this LUT is nice to emulate an old picture with a color image of a person (or a bunch of them).

wine-LSAmber.thumb.png.763189ef79a86f5d550c94a157bd81bb.png

Pure magic here. I love the work of Ansel Adams, even visited his house in Yosemite (the park turned to into a camera store 😊). I despise the official standards for turned color images into grayscale. The problem with them is that in 8-bits per color channel they only allow for 256 levels of gray (because they make a pixel gray by setting all three color channels to the same number, and 8 bits can only have one of 256 values).

So, I made my own LUT, almost-gray.cube, which makes pixels almost gray, so their values are close but not necessarily the same. Our brains still perceive them as gray. Like this,

Wine-AlmostGray.thumb.png.f6556363feadff31a9e36b9633043dea.png

In my never-ending quest for the filter that makes the colors of the human skin look their best, last night I made another 48 color filter LUTs by interpolating the colors with the above almost-gray filter. Then I tested a bunch of images of people with almost-amber. I liked the result. But this morning I was wondering if I could do something radical to improve it. Those sets of 48 bring out a color by suppressing its opposite. What if I took the opposite and gave it a negative efficacy? So I took almost-cobalt (with cobalt being exactly 180 degrees from amber on the color wheel) and gave it the efficacy of -1. That certainly made all colors quite brilliant and those in the neighborhood of amber more than others, but it was too much. So I remixed it with the efficacy of -0.5, and cutis-humana.cubewas born. I gave it that name because way back when I studied the pipe organ I was always puzzled by a register called vox humana, which is Latin for human voice. So I thought a filter that emulates human skin should be called cutis humana, Latin for human skin.

Anyway, here is the picture, albeit not with any human face as posting other people’s pictures on the web is something I prefer not to do. But this filter makes color portraits look good. At least I think it does.

Wine-CutHum.thumb.png.27434539c13f4b6056b95c8b9b0959e3.png