You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Small Look-Up Table(s)

AdamStanislav

We can also change orazur in the spirit of a chiaroscuro woodcut. This turns out fairly hard because the result depends highly on the original image, so whichever way I adjusted it, it looked great with some images and quite bad with others. But eventually I came up with a happy medium in Chiaroscuro.cube.

Wine-Chiaroscuro.thumb.png.82fec1b168170e443c2984035ea420c5.png

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I’m still making new ones. Last night I came up with a better method (than I had before) of combining several LUTs into one, and to test it I combined my Bleach Bypass LUT with a random blue LUT. The result was kind of wild (I called it Blue Bleach), so this morning I thought what if I lowered its saturation and its contrast (Bleach Bypass already lowers the saturation but increases the contrast). For the lack of a better idea, I called it Blue Gray and made BlueGray.cube out of it. It looks like this,

Wine-BlGr.thumb.png.6a87625294e52b8c700b1d38de8b892e.png

If we wanted to complement the Raspberry Bleach effect, we would just combine Bleach Bypass with an emerald coloring (since emerald is the complementary color of raspberry). We would end up with EmeraldBleach.cube. I would not use it for portrait photography, but it can produce a magical forest and such.

Wine-EmerBleach.thumb.png.03c269d17bf47625797cfab26db5d61f.png

On the other hand, instead of complementing the color, we may want to mirror it. By that I mean going the same angle from the nearest primary color but in the opposite direction. The nearest primary color to raspberry is red. If my math is correct, persimmon is the same distance, but in the opposite angular direction, from red as raspberry. So to mirror Raspberry Bleach, we create PersimmonBleach.cube. And yes, this one might be used in portrait photography as long as the original is not contrasty (since Bleach Bypass increases the contrast).

Wine-PersBleach.thumb.png.991db2c0d1c052b44d63366729cc06c0.png

Last night I added a function to my software to allow me to create the two most recent LUTs above. This morning when I was trying to create them, I got a completely wild result. Yes, my new function had a bug in it. I fixed the bug and it worked (well, obviously, since i already uploaded the two most recent LUTs).

But, the bug LUT was so wild I decided to keep it just in case I ever wanted to distort the colors of an image or video clip in such a wild way. Here it is: Bug.cube. And here is what it does,

Wine-Bug.thumb.png.be7288ec949441fae3995b87513d4590.png

@AdamStanislav  Oh ho!!  Easter Eggs!  Little girls cake decorations!  Mid-afternoon cocktails in the Tropics!  Bug LUT to the rescue!!🤩 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reacting to the new Omicron variant and to express it as an artistic variant, I mean LUT. I called it Oh my Cron! This one is best seen on a picture of a person, but I am getting an error message when I try to upload the before and after pictures. So here is just the LUT, OhMyCron.cube.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Realy nice LUTs! Very useful! Many Thanks for that!

By the way, for those who can't get enough of LUTs (like I do), take a look a the free G'MIC plugin. In the category "Colors" there is a filter called "Color Presets" with a huge amount of very good LUTs. In the same category are also some other functions for CLUTs (Cube-LUTs), f.e. to create your own or to use external ones.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:47 AM, iconoclast said:

Realy nice LUTs! Very useful! Many Thanks for that!

By the way, for those who can't get enough of LUTs (like I do), take a look a the free G'MIC plugin. In the category "Colors" there is a filter called "Color Presets" with a huge amount of very good LUTs. In the same category are also some other functions for CLUTs (Cube-LUTs), f.e. to create your own or to use external ones.

Wow Thank you for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Adam, I realy like these LUTs! Small, simple, and effective. I am no expert, and I would like to learn more about how these work. Do you have a website or a document where you describe how LUTs work in detail? A zip of all these and their samples would be good too, if you feel the urge one day. Thank you for your excellent work.

• 1 month later...

Sorry in advance about not being able to come up with new LUTs for some time. On April 23 (my 72nd birthday), a neighbor left a cigarette butt on his balcony, which resulted in a fire. I was awakened by the police at 1 am and taken out of the building.

I have been staying in hotels and looking for a place to live for the next five months or so it is supposed to take before the building is ready for people to move back in. Meanwhile my things, including my computers are in a storage facility. I am using my cell phone to post this, but I need my computer to create more LUTs.

Thanks for your understanding. 

39 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

On April 23 (my 72nd birthday), a neighbor left a cigarette butt on his balcony, which resulted in a fire. I was awakened by the police at 1 am and taken out of the building.

Wow, Adam, what an awful way to mark your birthday! I’m glad you’re OK.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@AdamStanislav   What a horrible thing to have happen!  But thank Heavens the police got to you in time.  Perhaps you can find a new place to live permanently?   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

16 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Thank you both. So far it looks I will be able to move to an efficiency apartment at a place for seniors in two weeks. And either stay there or move back home when my old apartment building is restored.

Such good news — even though it is because of very sad news.  Praying that you can be settled again very soon!

• 2 weeks later...

@AdamStanislav   Good news!  There should be room for your computer equipment -- just keep everything else in storage!!🙃  Seriously, so glad that you are getting a little bit settled again.