You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unfortunately, until now there has been no way to import images from the scanner directly into Affinity Photo. Many other image editing programs can do this.
Please add this frequently used function. The previously necessary method of first scanning with a scan program, then switching to Affinity Photo and opening the scan again, is cumbersome and no longer corresponds to the current state of the art.
Thank you and greetings!

Hello @wolau, and welcome to the forums.

I take it that you are a Windows user because you can scan directly on a Mac (or so I am told).

In your Operating System,  set the default program to open tiff files to Afinity Photo.

Now, whenever you save a tiff from your scanner, then the tiff file will automatically open in Photo. This should work whether Photo is open or not. This solution is not perfect, but it works for me.

Serif have stated that the reason they have not I provided scanner support in Photo is the lack of 64-bit support from the OS and who am I do argue with that.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!
No, unlike Adobe Photoshop, that's exactly what Affinity Photo doesn't do.
You must first scan an image with a WIA or TWAIN driver, save it and then open the scan file with Affinity.
Direct scanning with Affinity Photo is definitely not possible. This is probably justified with the 32-bit architecture of Affinity Photo.

2 hours ago, wolau said:

Direct scanning with Affinity Photo is definitely not possible. This is probably justified with the 32-bit architecture of Affinity Photo.

Do you mean the 64-bit...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, wolau said:

You must first scan an image with a WIA or TWAIN driver, save it and then open the scan file with Affinity.

See my post above.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

TWAIN, although had been nick-named, Technology Without an Interesting Name, actually was derived by the Twain Working Group, from Never the twain shall meet. Twain also means two. which describes the problems trying to get hardware and software to work together. Problem in the early 90's starting with Dentists having to scan images, and not wanting to use the proprietary software of the scanner manufacturers. Was a major pain back then and remains to this day. 😉😁

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

This post from moderator MEB gives Serif’s position in 2017 on getting scans on Windows:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35264-scan-for-affinity-photo-windows/&do=findComment&comment=173105
I don’t know if the official position has changed since then, but the current lack of direct scan capability seems to suggest not.
Maybe there’s a more up-to-date official post on this.

This post from moderator Dan C gives more information about how the Affinity applications get scans on Macs:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/145578-scanning-errors-in-affinity-photo/&do=findComment&comment=817534

My guess – complete guess – is that Serif may not want to add direct scanning to the Windows versions of the applications – even if it were possible – as it could cause lots of bug reports generated by the scanner drivers which Serif have no control over.
In other words, scanner driver failures would be perceived as Affinity failures and Serif would be expected to fix them even though they cannot.