You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eyedropper problem, changing hex codes in CYMK to RGB

Hi support

If I create a CYMK document and select a colour and make a square. Then I make another square and use the eyedropper tool to to make the second square the same colour as the first square, it does this but changes the HEX code to one outside of the CYMK gamut.

For example #35286f becomes #0b00a8.  How can I stop this from happening, is it a bug or something. I would like the same hex code carried a cross from one square to the next.

Thanks.

If you’re using hex codes you’re using RGB values (#rrggbb) rather than CMYK, but I’m puzzled about your use of the eyedropper to copy the colour from one square to another. It would be simpler to select the first square, choose ‘Pasteboard > Copy’ from the Edit (‘…’) menu, and then select the new square and choose ‘Pasteboard > Paste’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That was an example. So if I'm designing a logo and I make some swatches and then want to colour parts of my logo the same as my colour Swatch I may use the eyedropper to copy a colour.

That was what I thought it was intended for. Anyway regardless of why I use this tool. The eyedropper copies over the colour but changes the hex code of the colour. 

This is a problem as the hex code it changes it too is different.

If I then give my client the corresponding hex codes they will look very different to what they see on screen.

My problem isn't why I use the eyedropper but why it changes the hex code of the colour it's copying. It should copy like for like.

I’m struggling to reproduce this in Affinity Photo. If I create a mid-grey square (C0 M0 Y0 K50 or RGB #7F7F7F) and a dark blue square using your suggested value of RGB #35286F, and then reselect the grey square, the Colour Picker Tool correctly applies the dark blue colour to the selected square. With the Colour Studio set to ‘CMYK Sliders’ the colour is shown as C95 M100 Y24 K13, and switching to ‘RGB Hex Sliders’ still gives me #35286F, not #0B00A8. (As expected, I only see hex codes in RGB hex mode. RGB values are between 0 and 255 but CMYK values are percentages.)

Before posting the above I thought I’d try switching back to CMYK again. Although the CMYK values are very different (C52 M64 Y0 K56) the colour appears unchanged, as confirmed by switching once more to RGB Hex.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Okay thank you for trying. I will try it in photo and see if I have the same problem.

It's definitely happening in designer so it must be a bug if it doesn't happen in other applications.

I have no idea why. It's not just that blue but all colours it's changing to PSD colour profiles.

Nope I still get the same problem in photo.

See pictures below, the hex code has still been changed. The top square is the original, the bottom square was grey but used the eyedropper to get the colour above.

IMG_20210719_072851.jpg

IMG_20210719_072858.jpg

You raise a good point about CYMK slider, after switching to hex slider it gives different values, then when the square is selected it changes those CYMK values. Again all this is difficult if you are making a logo and wishing to give the client correct CYMK, RGB and hex values for a logo.

I have heard the best way to overcome this is using pantone and their suggested CYMK and RGB equivalents so guess this is just what I'll have to do from now on.

28 minutes ago, Robger said:

guess this is just what I'll have to do from now on.

Could you save the swatch as a global colour and just reapply that? Has the added benefit should you want to adjust the colour, of updating all areas where same colour has been applied.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Yes, I'll try that and I know there are other ways to do things.

Its just a problem I've stumbled on and wondering why it does this as could lead other designers to make mistakes when giving hex codes to clients, like it did me, which could be very costly to both parties

1 hour ago, Robger said:

Its just a problem I've stumbled on and wondering why it does this as could lead other designers to make mistakes when giving hex codes to clients, like it did me, which could be very costly to both parties

Similar/same issue reported back in June? No further response from mods unfortunately.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi @Robger,

Many thanks for your report!

I can confirm I've replicated this issue here, as well as finding a few more interesting results when following this workflow.

For example, if you colour pick the first object and apply it to the second, then select the first object and switch the Colour Studio view to CMYK sliders, you'll see one set of values. Selecting to the second object will show a different set of values, then switching back to the first object will show the same values that the second object showed - which doesn't match the values you were first shown for this object when switching the Colour Studio view options.

I have logged these all with our developers now for further investigation and to hopefully be fixed in an upcoming update.

2 hours ago, Robger said:

I've emailed and will await a response from them hopefully.

I'll be replying to your email shortly, to confirm the above also. I hope this helps :)

3 hours ago, DM1 said:

Similar/same issue reported back in June? No further response from mods unfortunately.

Apologies, I'm not quite sure what happened here so I'll have my manager check this with the mod who replied originally, thanks for brining this to our attention!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!