You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TOC Defunct, needs a major overhaul

Right now the TOC creation is very hands-on almost completely manual labour because Publisher gets in the way so much. It's atrocious to be kind about it. Also it doesn't create proper PDF TOCs but bookmarks, they show up where the consumer doesn't expect them (in bookmarks instead of the TOC area). This creates unnecessary support tickets.

The document sections aren't honoured at all in the TOC creation. The TOC tool itself is quite barren in terms of usefulness. There is no way to define parent/child relations of headings at all. It's all just a jumbled up pile of text boxes that's loosely referenced by anchors that may or may not be placed in the right area. Sometimes the automation even gives me a bunch of page number entries that I have to manually take out again.

This area of Publisher is seriously bad. It's the worst TOC creation tool I've used since TOCs were added to the PDF spec. It needs a lot of work before Publisher can be used for end user products.

Hi Frank, 

I agree with you, bookmarks should be a lot better, something basic to a PDF document more than a handful of pages. When first available they seemed to work well for me but later I realized things weren't right with the same issues that others have posted here. Well, AP is a new-ish product and the price is very affordable so not a crisis for us, we took a different approach for larger PDF manuals but I would like to see this improved in AP one day. 

I'm very happy with it creating short un-structured documents, it's so smooth to use and allows a basic user like me to be very satisfied with the output. Also kept me from being sucked in to Adobe World, from which I had escaped earlier by dumping Acrobat and buying PDF-XChange Editor!

Regards, Kevin