You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes 50% of time on trying to open print dialogue.

In the document that I am working on in Publisher at the moment, when I try to open the Print dialogue (i.e. when I click to ignore pre-flight warnings), Publisher crashes around 50% of the time. 

I experience other fairly frequent completely unexpected crashes as well, but the print dialogue crashes are by far the most frequent.

I also have other problems with printing. I have been trying to print to PDF, and at least a couple of times it has created corrupted PDFs and then refused to print PDFs at all afterwards saying there is a problem initialising the printer. Not knowing what else to do, I reboot to get it working again.

I have also been having trouble printing to file. (I was trying to create an XPS file because Microsoft Print to PDF doesn't offer the option of printing to A6), but the XPS files it creates are corrupt and cannot be read by Window XPS Reader or the online service I was trying to use to convert them to PDF.

I am using Publisher 1.9.2.1035 on Windows 10 version 21H1.

I have attached the project I am working on. It is the first project I have done in Publisher for a year, so I don't know whether I can reproduce the problems with other projects.

clock manual A5.afpub

EDIT: After having dozens of these crashes, I can now say that it happens completely predictably. The ratio of crashes is exactly 50%. Crashes and successful opening of the print dialogue strictly alternate. If last time it crashed, then this time it will work. If last time it worked, then this time it will crash.

Edited by ricecrispies
Additional insight

On 7/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, ricecrispies said:

In the document that I am working on in Publisher at the moment, when I try to open the Print dialogue (i.e. when I click to ignore pre-flight warnings), Publisher crashes around 50% of the time.

No crash on my side, but hard to judge because of the missing images. But why do you print to PDF, when there is a PDF export option?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 4 months later...

Sorry, I forgot to follow this thread when I created it, which is why I didn't reply. Unfortunately, 5 months later, I am still getting crashes.

Since July I have upgraded to the latest version (1.10.4.1198) but, after starting to use Publisher again yesterday, I have been getting several crashes per hour. These occur in various situations. It happened once while opening a Publisher file, and several times while opening the print dialogue. I also had a freeze today when I was trying to exit Publisher.

The projects I am working on at the moment are trivially simple. Just a little bit of black text on a white background on a single page of 6"×4". I've been printing to an ordinary Brother laser printer and a Canon Pixma i7250 inkjet, so again, nothing complicated.

Hi @ricecrispies Are these crashes all on different documents or the same one? I am trying to find to steps to attempt to reproduce your issue.

18 hours ago, ricecrispies said:

Since July I have upgraded to the latest version (1.10.4.1198) but, after starting to use Publisher again yesterday, I have been getting several crashes per hour. These occur in various situations. It happened once while opening a Publisher file, and several times while opening the print dialogue. I also had a freeze today when I was trying to exit Publisher.

Could you also tell me if you have any created any Print Profiles?