You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure about that, but possibly Effects, Adjustment Layers and Live Filters are not supported by the Assets. Or they just cause too much data. I made the experience that after I created an end- and seamless pattern with an adjustment layer and added it as an asset, the whole asset category I putted it in was broken. When I tried to open it, Photo crashed. That was not as worse as it may sound, because there was only one other asset in it, but it is better to know that before you lose a lot of good stuff.

However, Emboss Effects can be stored as Styles (menu "View" > "Studio" > "Style"). That should work.

In addition to the advice above, without being able to see how the asset has been constructed it might be difficult to figure out what has actually happened.
If you can export the asset category – see attached image – and post it here, someone should be able to come up with a good idea of what’s going on.

Screenshot 2021-07-17 084940.png

41 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In addition to the advice above, without being able to see how the asset has been constructed it might be difficult to figure out what has actually happened.
If you can export the asset category – see attached image – and post it here, someone should be able to come up with a good idea of what’s going on.

Screenshot 2021-07-17 084940.png

I normally export all my Assets to save them. In this case I didn't, because there was only one asset in this category as I killed it with the second one. But as I said, it's no problem. I already reseted my Assets and reloaded the backups. I think, to be save, you shouldn't create too complex assets. And backup your stuff.

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas. I experimented some more and it seems that when I drag the asset onto another document the value of the effect changes. It's no problem to adjust it but I think Iconclast was right about assets not behaving well with effects.

50 minutes ago, petermoran said:

Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas. I experimented some more and it seems that when I drag the asset onto another document the value of the effect changes. It's no problem to adjust it but I think Iconclast was right about assets not behaving well with effects.

You could of course rasterize your embossed object before you make an asset outoff it. But in that case you would not be able to change the effect afterwards. Another opportunity would be to add the object to the assets without any effect and save the effect as a style, so that you can drag your asset to any image you want and apply the effect after that with only one click on the style.

11 hours ago, petermoran said:

When I drag the rectangle into another document, the effects seem to have doubled in strength.

FWIW, I cannot duplicate the behavior on my Mac. I only tested with AD 1.9.3 but the radius of the emboss effect does not change when dragged into a variety of differently sized canvasses or artboards.

Also, no crashes occur.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

but the radius of the emboss effect does not change when dragged into a variety of differently sized canvasses or artboards.

Possibly related to document DPI?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Possibly related to document DPI?

Could be. I did not test for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 hours ago, R C-R said:

Could be. I did not test for that.

Yes, it's probably related to document DPI.

In an experiment, the effects parameters remained the same. However, if the asset was created in a document with 300dpi, and then the asset is loaded into a document with 150dpi, the stroke doubles in width. That affects the appearance of both the stroke and any effect that is applied that is based on a percentage.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

42 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In an experiment, the effects parameters remained the same. However, if the asset was created in a document with 300dpi, and then the asset is loaded into a document with 150dpi, the stroke doubles in width.

Quite possibly i am not doing something the same way you are, but I tried creating rectangle assets with the Bevel/Emboss fx set to the emboss type with a radius of 10 px in two different documents, one using 72 DPI & the other 300, & both retain the 10 px radius when either asset is dragged into a new document, including ones set to 150 or any other DPI I tried.

Affinity Photo 

As I said, the effects parameters remain the same. However, the stroke changes based on the document DPI, and we can see that kind of change in the original post.

Additionally, if one is comparing a 10px effect on a 2px stroke with that same effect on a 4px stroke (resulting from a DPI change) it will look different.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As I said, the effects parameters remain the same. However, the stroke changes based on the document DPI, and we can see that kind of change in the original post.

OK, now I see what you mean. I was going by the comment in the OP that "the effects seem to have doubled in strength." I assumed that meant effects parameters like radius, not the stroke width. 

Affinity Photo