You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spell Check Window

I'm using Affinity Designer and Publisher 1.9x on the Mac and I cannot get the spell check window to come up on the screen at all. It works fine with the red squigle and that can turn on and off but the window will not come up. Am I missing something?

Do you mean that when you right click the red squiggle text that the popup context menu which includes suggested spellings as well as the Ignore and Learn options won't appear? If so, that's a bug. I've never gotten around to reporting it but I've seen that many times. Just ignore it for an hour or two and if you open Preflight later you might see it and then you can right click it.

There is a related bug in the spelling checker in 1.9.3 that I haven't reported either. Sometimes words that are misspelled aren't underlined at all. Even if you choose Check Spelling or use Preflight they're not found. But sometime hours later, or the next time you open the document, they will be underlined.

Both of these bugs are intermittent. I'll file a bug report for them both now that I've taken time to think about how they work. [edit - reported here]

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Even if you choose Check Spelling or use Preflight they're not found.

I ran into this issue today. There's a misspelled word in an APub document I never noticed and Preflight hadn't identified it previously. I thought senility was setting in.

1 hour ago, Brian_J said:

I ran into this issue today. There's a misspelled word in an APub document I never noticed and Preflight hadn't identified it previously. I thought senility was setting in.

And it just happened to me again right now, too.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

17 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Do you mean that when you right click the red squiggle text that the popup context menu which includes suggested spellings as well as the Ignore and Learn options won't appear?

I don't get the impression that's what @Bryce is describing here:

17 hours ago, Bryce said:

I cannot get the spell check window to come up on the screen at all.

I interpret "spell check window" to refer to this:

1974237673_ScreenShot2021-07-16at8_34_56AM.png.d11ebc2f56390cb977cda0dc8bf68441.png

At first, I thought it was not working for me either, but I was selecting the wrong command. I went to Text→Spelling→Check Spelling. It just selects the next misspelled word, but no window comes up. To get the window above that resembles the old traditional spell checkers from a couple decades ago, you instead need to select Text→Spelling→Spelling Options….

To me, it just seems the two commands are imprecisely named. I would have had that window come with "Check Spelling" and the other to be simply "Next Misspelled Word." The latter command seems to me to only be useful if it is used as a key command, because otherwise I think it would be near painful to drill down to that menu item to step through every misspelled word. Funny that by default there is no key command with it.